function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sohan ShirodkarSohan Shirodkar 

How is omni-channel routing different from case-assignment rules?

I have used case-assignment rules to assign cases automatically to the right user/queue based on certain conditions. 

Recently I was going through Trailhead content on omni-channel and various routing mechanisms (skill based, queue based). Following statement from trailhead confuses me : "Omni-Channel always assigns cases to the right support agents, and customers are happy with customer service. ".

If we already have case-assignment rules in place, why do we need omni-channel queue based routing? How are the two things different?
Best Answer chosen by Sohan Shirodkar
SwethaSwetha (Salesforce Developers) 
HI Sohan,

A case assignment rule in Salesforce.com is really a grouping of rules that will help you automatically assign cases throughout your support organization based on criteria captured on the case records. Each assignment rule can have multiple rule entries.

In Omni-Channel, work items are automatically routed or “pushed” to agents who are assigned to the appropriate queue. Incoming work items are routed to the agent with the least amount of open work. When work items all consume 1 capacity, the agent with the lowest number of work items receives incoming work.

Kindly let me know if it helps you and close your query by marking it as solved so that it can help others in the future.

Thanks

All Answers

SwethaSwetha (Salesforce Developers) 
HI Sohan,

A case assignment rule in Salesforce.com is really a grouping of rules that will help you automatically assign cases throughout your support organization based on criteria captured on the case records. Each assignment rule can have multiple rule entries.

In Omni-Channel, work items are automatically routed or “pushed” to agents who are assigned to the appropriate queue. Incoming work items are routed to the agent with the least amount of open work. When work items all consume 1 capacity, the agent with the lowest number of work items receives incoming work.

Kindly let me know if it helps you and close your query by marking it as solved so that it can help others in the future.

Thanks
This was selected as the best answer
kovici maryakovici marya
I was actually reading your post and found some really interesting information. The thing is quite clear that I just want to thank for it.. Kahoot Login Info (https://gab.com/kahoot/posts/110671204866727832" target="_blank)