function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
alfo72alfo72 

Anyone have any thoughts on Licenses for Developers in SFDX Environment

We are building a new org and doing it programmatically as it is highly customised.  We are also going down the SFDX route, so Dev Hub, Scratch, Source, Branching etc.

Anyone creating scratch orgs needs to be active in the system with ther permission to build scratch orgs.  BUT what is the minimum license they need?

Other than developing in Scratch and potentially using a prebuild Sandbox for some testing (where we can create them as sys admin) they will have zero to no interaction with production.

As I have 4 new devs, I don't really want 4 x Full Salesforce licenses when they will never use the functionality.

Asking this on success as well but came here in case any dev managers or others have feedback.

ANUTEJANUTEJ (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi alfo,

I found the below information regarding the editions:

Dev Hub available in: Developer, Enterprise, Performance, and Unlimited Editions
Scratch orgs available in: Developer, Enterprise, Group, and Professional Editions

This information is available in below article link: https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.sfdx_setup.meta/sfdx_setup/sfdx_setup_enable_devhub.htm

I hope this was helpful and in case if this came in handy can you please mark this as best answer so that it can be used by others in future.

Regards,
Anutej
alfo72alfo72
I don't need to know how to setup and enable DevHubs, been doing that since Christmas and have deployed 5 unlocked packages to our new org.

To create a scratch org as a developer you need to be ACTIVE as a USER in the relevant Dev Hub, if you are not then you get permission erros in SFDC/CLI.

So you could set everyone up as Administrators and pay Salesforce $2000 a year when the Developer would never access Productionand do everything in a Scratch.

So the question is still :  what is the minimum licenses you can acquire for a Developer so you can assign them permission to create Scratch Orgs.

I have had the following article linked to me but not sure if it applies to non-ISV customers.

https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.packagingGuide.meta/packagingGuide/dev_hub_license.htm