function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DavidCapturDavidCaptur 

Matching Rule returns too many duplicates but there are none..

Hi,

We are trying to activate the below Mathing Rule in our test environment:
Account: Identity EXACT MatchBlank = FALSE
and we've cleaned up all instances where the Identity field in Account is duplicate, there are none left, or they are blank. Nonetheless, when we try to activate the matching rule, we are still getting the error:

You tried to activate the matching rule Identity No. Matching Rule for identifying duplicate records. However, we can't activate the rule because it defines an unusually large number of records as possible duplicates.

What could be the explanation for this?

Thanks,
David

Best Answer chosen by DavidCaptur
DavidCapturDavidCaptur
Finally found a solution to the problem. While I did not have enough duplicate data in the system to prevent activation, Salesforce was somehow still catching the blanks as duplicates, even though I had added the clause of MatchBlank = FALSE. The solution was to add additional criteria to the Matching Rule without effecting how the rule worked, ie, a clause that won't get in the way.

In my case, I also added the country of origin to the equation, which must always be populated and if not populated can be omit the whole record from the set. In practise it did not change the semantics of the rule, but Salesforce allowed me to completed the acivation and turn on the rule, which is now working well.

All Answers

ANUTEJANUTEJ (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi David,

I found the below document which states that "matching rule activation is blocked when the sum of all sets of 100+ identical match key values exceeds 2% of the number of total match keys." Can you check this once and for reference please find the link to the article below:

>> https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000317265&language=en_US&type=1&mode=1

I hope this helps and in case if it does can you please choose this as the best answer so that it can be used by others in the future.

Regards,
Anutej
DavidCapturDavidCaptur
It does not, as stated in the description I have no duplicates left in my data, but I am still getting the error.
DavidCapturDavidCaptur
Finally found a solution to the problem. While I did not have enough duplicate data in the system to prevent activation, Salesforce was somehow still catching the blanks as duplicates, even though I had added the clause of MatchBlank = FALSE. The solution was to add additional criteria to the Matching Rule without effecting how the rule worked, ie, a clause that won't get in the way.

In my case, I also added the country of origin to the equation, which must always be populated and if not populated can be omit the whole record from the set. In practise it did not change the semantics of the rule, but Salesforce allowed me to completed the acivation and turn on the rule, which is now working well.
This was selected as the best answer