function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tomislav SkopljakTomislav Skopljak 

Unable to create a custom tab

When I try to create a custom tab, I am unable to and I get the following message: 
Validation Errors While Saving Record(s) 
There were custom validation error(s) encountered while saving the affected record(s). The first validation error encountered was "This Developer Name already exists or has been previously used. Please choose a different name.". 
Click here to return to the previous page. 

In Tabs section of Setup there is no custom tab for this object. Also it cannot be found in profile settings or metadata. I tried SOQL query using tooling api, but I can't find the tab. The only place where it's mentioned is Rename Tabs and Labels in Setup, but that also doesn't do any help. The tab was certainly there before, but at some point it disappeared.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
SwethaSwetha (Salesforce Developers) 
HI Tomaislav,
Can you try to empty recyclebin and see if it fixes the issue?Thanks
Nikhil_KhetanNikhil_Khetan
@Tomislav Is this the object tab or visualforce tab or a web tab?
If object tab, can you check if the object is still there? 

The metadata never goes in your recycle bin(there is different place holder for this metadata deleted files)

Thanks,
Nikhil
Please mark this as best answer if you find my answer's helpful.
@Swetha, @Nikhil_Khetan
Thank you both, but I still wasn't able to fix the issue. I emptied the recycle bin and I still get the same issue.
And it is the custom object tab, object is still there.

Thanks,
Tomislav
Can you try having a different API name for the tab?
if not, was the old tab created was for the same object?
I can just select the objecr for the tab, not the API name. And yes, the tab was created for the same object before, but now it's gone. I can't find it in setup, or with tooling API. But it seems like some data about it still exist and it's stopping me from creating a new one.
Last option i can suggest it try login into workbench and open https://workbench.developerforce.com/metadataDescribeAndList.php?type=CustomTab

and see if you can find the old tab, if not then you need to raise a case with salesforce.

Thanks
I already did that. I also tried getting the tab with VS Code, tooling API, but none of these return the tab. According to those, the tab doesn't exist.
And I also raised the case with Salesforce, but they said that they do not support Developer orgs' issues.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I hope that I will fix this somehow.
Hmm.. this is strange then. Not sure if that is possible for you, try deleting the object and recreate it.

Thanks
Dylan LoaderDylan Loader
Tomislav Skopljak, I know this is years later but did you ever find a resolve to this issue? I am experiencing the same thing & tried all options mentioned in this feed but nothing is working. I noticed there was a tab relabel and I reset it but still getting same error.