function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Internal PartnerInternal Partner 

How to renew an existing CA-Signed Certificate used by your domain in Salesforce?

Hi everybody,

I am going crazy with so many articles, answers of the Salesforce Community to a similar question, but every answer has no more details and there is no much information or no information on the Salesforce Documentation. I raised a case for the Salesforce Support with the question in this thread and an agent closed the case automatically with the reason "this is a Development issue, report it to the Developers forum".

I only want to know in details how to renew an existing CA-Signed Certificate, which is used by the domain, say, mycompany.com. The CA Certificate will expire in one week and I don't have any idea not even reading many tips :(.

Someone wrote:

The steps for getting a certificate signed by a Certificate Authority are these:

1. From Setup, click Security Controls | Certificate and Key Management, click the name of the certificate, then click Download Certificate Signing Request.
2. Send the certificate request to the certificate authority of your choice.
3. After the certificate authority sends back the signed certificate, from Setup, click Security Controls | Certificate and Key Management, click the name of the certificate, then click Upload Signed Certificate.
4. Click Browse to locate the CA-signed certificate. The CA-signed certificate must match the certificate created in Salesforce. If you try to upload a different CA-signed certificate, the upload fails.
5. Click Save to finish the upload process. Click Cancel at any time to not upload the certificate.

Essentially, you take the CSR file you've downloaded from Salesforce and have it signed by the company of your choosing and then return to Salesforce and upload the certificate generated by your provider.

I am very confused. I don't want to create a new CA-Signed Certificate. I want to renew an existing certificate so it gets a new expiration date, because this certificate will expire next week and this is used by the domain mycompany.com.

So:

1. What please are the steps in detail to RENEW an existing CA-Signed Certificate
2. Would it be enough if I only download the CSR file from the existing CA Certificate --> Then I create a new CA Certificate with the same label --> For this new one I am creating then I upload the CSR file I downloaded before --> Make inactive the old CA Certificate and MAke active the new one?

I think, I don't need to send the downloaded CSR to a CA Authority of my choice again, what do you think?.
I have read that CA Authorities charge companies for signing such CSRs, so it has no sense, I think, to send the downloaded CSR to a CA if you have not updated anything in the file or encryption, does it also make sense for you?.

What is your experience Salesforce Admin experts? Please help me here :(.