function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ARCHIT PathakARCHIT Pathak 

Common challenges faced in integration.

What are the most common challenges faced while integrating salesforce with On-Prem Applications(SAP, Ivanti Heat, Sharepoint, Jenkins) vs cloud application(Sharepoint, Jenkins, Bitbucket, Microsoft TFS etc)?

I know there are multiple 3rd party applications and even direct API's available now, I want to know this with respect to creating own api's.
Request you to explain to me or provide a direction to extend me research
Best Answer chosen by ARCHIT Pathak
David EntremontDavid Entremont
The biggest challenge I encounter with on-prem has to do with network security of the client. Often there are strict firewall and VPN policies that make it impossible to callout to on-prem resources from Salesforce. If you can be accomodated (whitelist, 2way ssl, etc) - awesome! These same type of policies may restrict the customization you have over the client's on-prem software as well. Depends on client.
Second would be scalability - typically cloud based makes this much easier and doesn't tie you to the client's ability to scale there own resources.
In terms of APIs, cloud will certainly be easier, especially if you have to contend with on-premise security. I've seen more and more adoption of Mulesoft(decalrative) and Graph(code-based) solutions to create API mashups in the enterprise - cool stuff :)

All Answers

The biggest challenge I encounter with on-prem has to do with network security of the client. Often there are strict firewall and VPN policies that make it impossible to callout to on-prem resources from Salesforce. If you can be accomodated (whitelist, 2way ssl, etc) - awesome! These same type of policies may restrict the customization you have over the client's on-prem software as well. Depends on client.
Second would be scalability - typically cloud based makes this much easier and doesn't tie you to the client's ability to scale there own resources.
In terms of APIs, cloud will certainly be easier, especially if you have to contend with on-premise security. I've seen more and more adoption of Mulesoft(decalrative) and Graph(code-based) solutions to create API mashups in the enterprise - cool stuff :)
This was selected as the best answer
One more thing. 
No matter the interplay between cloud/on-prem, integrating these very different platforms requires a deep dive into the relative performance of each and the data volumes that each's APIs can handle. I've seen cases where either client is unable to keep up with performance or volumes of the other and an intermediary buffer integration is required. An example might be an on-premise system that has long running processes and infinite req/response times that don't jive well with Salesforces timeouts. Of course there could be clever ways to get around that, but something to look out for.
ARCHIT PathakARCHIT Pathak
Thanks, David for the quick response. That was really helpfull.