function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Nevin O'Regan 3Nevin O'Regan 3 

3 Columns In A Section

Has anyone got simple examples of where they were able to add a 3rd column to a section in Lightning? 

Best Answer chosen by Nevin O'Regan 3
Naveen KNNaveen KN
Hi Nevin, 

There is a grid feature in the salesforce lightning design system. Make use of that for your requirement. 

If it is a standard component or layout then you cannot add the third one right beside as you highlighted above. You can add as a new component underneath the referral commission section. as per the standard functionality, you can make one or two column layouts in the lightning as shown below

User-added image

If you want to make three column layout then you can go for custom lightning component and use grid system to design as per your business requirement 
User-added image

More details on salesforce grid system at https://www.lightningdesignsystem.com/utilities/grid/#

Hope this information adds value to your development. 

Naveen
Team codengine.in 

All Answers

Meghna Vijay 7Meghna Vijay 7
Are you talking about using <lightning:layout> and <lightning:layoutItem>?
I think so. I have a section in the page layout where I need to add a 3rd column. The other sections on the page layout are fine using the standard 2 columns but for this particular section I need a 3rd.
Can you send screenshot of that section?

Here is a screen shot of that section. The object is called Finance__c, and what I would like to do is add a 3rd column to selection which will show a picklist field "Status__c" opposite the currency field.

User-added image
I think it's standard page layout and you want a 3rd column for a specific section. It can be done via two ways:-
1) Using VF page + SLDS and add it to the specific section of the page layout.
2) Use force:recordData with Mode="VIEW".
Thanks

Naveen KNNaveen KN
Hi Nevin, 

There is a grid feature in the salesforce lightning design system. Make use of that for your requirement. 

If it is a standard component or layout then you cannot add the third one right beside as you highlighted above. You can add as a new component underneath the referral commission section. as per the standard functionality, you can make one or two column layouts in the lightning as shown below

User-added image

If you want to make three column layout then you can go for custom lightning component and use grid system to design as per your business requirement 
User-added image

More details on salesforce grid system at https://www.lightningdesignsystem.com/utilities/grid/#

Hope this information adds value to your development. 

Naveen
Team codengine.in 

This was selected as the best answer
Thanks Naveen,

The grid system using a custom lightning component sounds exactly what I am looking for. I will look into this further. 
Naveen KNNaveen KN
Great! Mark this thread as solved in case if any of solutions helped here. 

Happy coding! 
Naveen
Hi Codengine.in

Do you mind me asking if the below code looks ok. Sorry I'm a novice at coding. I have gone to the Developer Console and selected Lightning Component. 

<aura:component >
    <div class="slds-grid slds-gutters">
  <div class="slds-col">
    <span>1</span>
  </div>
  <div class="slds-col">
    <span>2</span>
  </div>
  <div class="slds-col">
    <span>3</span>
  </div>
</div>
</aura:component>
Naveen KNNaveen KN
Yes, this looks good. It will give three column layout as per your need. 

Naveen
Thank you. 
Hi Codengine.in, shouldn't I be able to see this on the "Edit Page" in the custom component section? I don't see it there for some reason.

Naveen KNNaveen KN
add this one 
<aura:component implements="flexipage:availableForAllPageTypes">
    <div class="slds-grid slds-gutters">
        <div class="slds-col">
            <span>1</span>
        </div>
        <div class="slds-col">
            <span>2</span>
        </div>
        <div class="slds-col">
            <span>3</span>
        </div>
    </div>
</aura:component>

You need to implement interface to make it available <aura:component implements="flexipage:availableForAllPageTypes">

Naveen
Team codengine.in 
Thanks Codengine.in,

How can I add input fields to this then? So I have created custom fields for this section on the object, is it possible to just add them to this code?
Naveen KNNaveen KN
It is not a direct addition. You need to work on lightning data service which displays values without any server-side apex and another approach is it build complete customization. go through the basics of showing fields in the lightning components. 

Naveen