function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kevin DombroskiKevin Dombroski 

Prepare to be Object Agnostic Trailhead - how to add a value to the Picklist?

I'm trying to do a Trailhead for learning Lightning Components titled "Prepare to be Object Agnostic" - the exact instructions are listed below. The problem I am having is when I click "New" to seemingly add a new value to the Picklist, instead of a simple data entry task the "Object Manager" is opening!?!?  I don't understand why - is there a glitch in the Trailhead or am I making a Newbie mistake?  Please advise - thanks! 

Trailhead instructions: 

Finish the Badge Color Picklist
From the Custom Fields section of the Indicator Badge detail page, select the Badge Color picklist.
Scroll down to the Values section and select New.
Enter RosyBrown as a value.
Click Save. Now that we understand the basic shape of our Indicator Badges and we've finished all the fields, let's build a list view for our custom metadata records to help us understand how we put this custom metadata type to work for ZBS.

Here are the screenshots in sequence when I try to do that: 

Click on "Badge Color" hyperlink: 

Click on "Badge Color" hyperlink

Scroll down to "Custom Fields" and click "New": 
Scroll down to "Custom Fields" and click "New" 

I'm expecting to see a simple data entry form so I can enter "RosyBrown" - instead I get the Object Manager in a new tab: 

I'm expecting to see a simple data entry form so I can enter "RosyBrown" - instead I get the Object Manager in a new tab: 
Best Answer chosen by Kevin Dombroski
Vaner MenonVaner Menon

Kevin,

I had the same issue, it seems a bug in a Lightning mode view.

Just Switch to Classic Mode view and you can complete the module.

All Answers

ApuroopApuroop
Hey Kevin,

I was able to create a new picklist value 'RosyBrown'. Not sure really what the problem is but try using different browser or logging out and log back in. Also, make sure that you're using a separate environment as opposed to a playground.

User-added image
Thanks for the reply! But, I'm not entirely sure what you mean - I was trying this in a "Spring '19 pre-release Developer Edition org"  as well as a Trailhead Playground, but both give the same result: if I try to add a New value (or Edit an existing one), I'm bounced to the Object Manager. I don't really care about the 100 Points/badge, but since this is the first exercise, I'm sure the next/later exercises build upon it, so I would like to get this figured out so I can give the full set of modules/project a try.  I was hoping if I did all the other work, I'd "pass", but I get the following message when I click Verify Challenge :-( 

Picklist Buzz Kill

Perhaps it has something to do with this being a package that I imported - do I need to adjust some permissions perhaps? 
Vaner MenonVaner Menon

Kevin,

I had the same issue, it seems a bug in a Lightning mode view.

Just Switch to Classic Mode view and you can complete the module.

This was selected as the best answer
Thank you so much Vaner! I just tried that and it easily allowed me to enter the value "RosyBrown" finally. Crazy stuff!?!? And finding "Custom Metadata Types"  under Classic View was a little bit of an adventure, but eventually I stumbled across it. Thanks again for clarifying - no fun being stuck on something so silly.