function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
joestuartjoestuart 

GIT workflow

Hi, 
I want to introduce version control into my workflow.  I also want to work locally.  I have a Bitbucket account that I would like to use.

Currently I work in the Developer consoole in the sandbox and deploy from there.  

Any advice would be appricated.
Thanks
Best Answer chosen by joestuart
Somya TiwariSomya Tiwari

Hi Joestuart,

In order to use GIT Version Control, or any kind of Version Control in your workflow for Salesforce, you will need to use Scratch Orgs. This is a feature recently introduced by Salesforce. With Scratch Orgs you can use Visual Studio Code to develop Apex Classes, Lightning Component, VisualForce Pages, and more on your PC. More over you will be able to pull all your data such as Validation Rules, Process Builders, and all other settings on your PC. later with version control you can push your versions to GIT, or BitBucket.

Do note that Scratch orgs only last for 30 Days, hence your workflow will surely be hampered where you will need to pull all data of your final work on 29th day and push to a new Scratch Org.

Regards,
Somya Tiwari

All Answers

Somya TiwariSomya Tiwari

Hi Joestuart,

In order to use GIT Version Control, or any kind of Version Control in your workflow for Salesforce, you will need to use Scratch Orgs. This is a feature recently introduced by Salesforce. With Scratch Orgs you can use Visual Studio Code to develop Apex Classes, Lightning Component, VisualForce Pages, and more on your PC. More over you will be able to pull all your data such as Validation Rules, Process Builders, and all other settings on your PC. later with version control you can push your versions to GIT, or BitBucket.

Do note that Scratch orgs only last for 30 Days, hence your workflow will surely be hampered where you will need to pull all data of your final work on 29th day and push to a new Scratch Org.

Regards,
Somya Tiwari

This was selected as the best answer
joestuartjoestuart
Thanks Tiwari. I Love VS Code so I will look into Scratch Orgs.