function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
John VitalesJohn Vitales 

Connected Apps

I was able to create a Connected App from my Salesforce Sandbox environment.  I am able to use the Salesforce REST API from an external app and POST data into different Salesforce Objects.

My question is, how can we bring the work created in the Salesforce Sandbox into a production environment?

Any clarifications or documentations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

VinayVinay (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi John,

> You can re-create same in your production environment and try to refresh sandbox.

> Each connected app must have a unique consumerKey value. One way to deploy your connected app is to remove the consumerKey from the .connectedApp xml file. When this component deploys in the new org, a new consumerKey will be automatically generated.

Check limitation on connected app below.

https://ideas.salesforce.com/s/idea/a0B8W00000GdcBWUAZ/copying-connected-apps-setting-information-as-part-of-sandbox-refresh

Please mark as Best Answer if above information was helpful.

Thanks,
mukesh guptamukesh gupta
Hi John,

One organization acts as the "host" of the connected app. All other orgs will automatically "install" it on the first use in that org. There's no need to package it up or deploy it anywhere. If you were to create it in every other org, you'd have unique client ID and client secret values, which would be disastrous at best. I would say you should create your Connected App in a permanent org (production or a DE org), rather than a Sandbox, which could be destroyed, coincidentally deleting the Connected App.

https://docs.gearset.com/en/articles/3313964-connected-apps-must-have-a-unique-consumerkey

https://trailhead.salesforce.com/trailblazer-community/feed/0D54S00000A7qh2SAB

if you need any assistanse, Please let me know!!

Kindly mark my solution as the best answer if it helps you.

Thanks
Mukesh 
John VitalesJohn Vitales

Thanks for the explanation!

I went ahead and created the Connected App in our Production Org.

Everything is working great as I am able to use the Salesforce API from Postman.

It works for the Production Org and I also tested using a Trailhead Org which is a sand-box.

I wanted to test further and tried POSTING data into a Trial Salesforce account but then it fails.

Is there limitations to Connected Apps created in Production and using it for a Trial account?

I remember when I had my Sand-box Connected App, I had no issues with POSTing data into my Trial account.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

VinayVinay (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi John, 

Great... You are right trail org has a limitation when compared to business org like licenses, API calls etc.,  I would suggest you to spin new sandbox org or refresh existing sandbox if you have any, and continue to do testing if you wish you.

Please mark as Best Answer if above information was helpful.

Thanks,