function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
howard zien 24howard zien 24 

how can i enforce uniqueness on a standard field in a standar object. like the name field in the account object

how can i enforce uniqueness on a standard field in a standar object.  like the name field in the account object

i know how to define uniqueness on a custom object and custom field.  But how do i do it on a standard object and field?

Best Answer chosen by howard zien 24
Alexander TsitsuraAlexander Tsitsura
Hi Howard,

You can create new field "Custom Account Name" and write workflow rule for update this field for standart Account Name every time a record is created or edited. This custom field you can make unique.

As a common practice, if your question is answered, please choose 1 best answer. 
But you can give every answer a thumb up if that answer is helpful to you.

Thanks,
Alex

All Answers

Hi Howard,

You can create new field "Custom Account Name" and write workflow rule for update this field for standart Account Name every time a record is created or edited. This custom field you can make unique.

As a common practice, if your question is answered, please choose 1 best answer. 
But you can give every answer a thumb up if that answer is helpful to you.

Thanks,
Alex
This was selected as the best answer
howard zien 24howard zien 24
i suspected that this is the best approach but wanted to hear it from a seasoned SF architect.
Also you can use Duplicate Management.

Go to Setup -> Data.com Administration -> Duplicate Management. There you need create Matching Rules and Duplicate Rules. The duplicate rule tells Salesforce what action to take when duplicates are identified. The matching rule defines how records are compared to one another to identify possible duplicates.

Thanks,
Alex