function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Brahim HadiBrahim Hadi 

Using an external Java Script library

Hi all,
do you have any experience with using "Basic Primitives" java script library in salesfore.com apps? Anyone has used it before? http://www.basicprimitives.com/
Before making any decision I need to know:
- Is it  safe?
- Is it just a static library?
- Will it affect any of the feature that we will build in sf?
- Will the future sales force releases affect this library in case I use it?
- Anything other thing that should be considered in case I use it?

Thank you in advance.
Br, Ibo
Best Answer chosen by Brahim Hadi
pconpcon
I've not used it before but I can give you a little bit of information after looking over it.

Is it safe?
  • Short answer, probably.  Long answer, no.  If you are not the one hosting then they can do "naughty" things.  Also since you didn't write it who knows what they are doing with your data even if you do host it.  Typically larger libraries like this are pretty safe and since they do charge for commercial use, it's in their best interest to make sure it's safe.
Is it just a static library?
  • Looking at their how to use page, it appears to just be a static script that you include and use.  It appears to just be an extension of jquery-ui.
Will it affect any of the feature that we will build in sf?
  • There's a decent chance that it will, but not because of the Javascript.  For the most part Salesforce's Javascript does a decent job of "staying out of the way."  Where you'll have the highest chance of Salesforce getting in the way will be with the CSS they use.  If it conflicts with Salesforce's CSS then all sorts of things can go wrong.
Will the future sales force releases affect this library in case I use it?
  • Always a possiblility, but doubtful (except for the CSS reasons as stated above)
Anything other thing that should be considered in case I use it?
  • As with anything built on the Salesforce platform, things are bound to change.  For example, Salesforce is trying to push all Service Cloud users into the Service Cloud Console.  This is a highly javascript heavy application that is unlike the standard layout.  So if your javascript / css is relying on things being there (ie sidebar space) and you are forced to move to something like this, there's a good chance that you'll have to redesign / recode your work.

All Answers

pconpcon
I've not used it before but I can give you a little bit of information after looking over it.

Is it safe?
  • Short answer, probably.  Long answer, no.  If you are not the one hosting then they can do "naughty" things.  Also since you didn't write it who knows what they are doing with your data even if you do host it.  Typically larger libraries like this are pretty safe and since they do charge for commercial use, it's in their best interest to make sure it's safe.
Is it just a static library?
  • Looking at their how to use page, it appears to just be a static script that you include and use.  It appears to just be an extension of jquery-ui.
Will it affect any of the feature that we will build in sf?
  • There's a decent chance that it will, but not because of the Javascript.  For the most part Salesforce's Javascript does a decent job of "staying out of the way."  Where you'll have the highest chance of Salesforce getting in the way will be with the CSS they use.  If it conflicts with Salesforce's CSS then all sorts of things can go wrong.
Will the future sales force releases affect this library in case I use it?
  • Always a possiblility, but doubtful (except for the CSS reasons as stated above)
Anything other thing that should be considered in case I use it?
  • As with anything built on the Salesforce platform, things are bound to change.  For example, Salesforce is trying to push all Service Cloud users into the Service Cloud Console.  This is a highly javascript heavy application that is unlike the standard layout.  So if your javascript / css is relying on things being there (ie sidebar space) and you are forced to move to something like this, there's a good chance that you'll have to redesign / recode your work.
This was selected as the best answer
Brahim HadiBrahim Hadi
Thank you for your answer.
Br, Ibo

pconpcon
If you are happy with that answer, can you please mark it as the "best answer" so that it will be removed from the unanswered queue as well as making it clear to others in the future.