function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
howard zien 24howard zien 24 

i have a sql server data table with 100 fields in it. is there a way for me to import this data structure and field description into SF as an object without having to navigate 100 screens, 1 for each field?

i have a sql server data table with 100 fields in it.
is there a way for me to import this data structure  and field description into SF as an object without having to navigate 100 screens, 1 for each field?

logontokartiklogontokartik
Yes. there are multiple ways you can do this,

1. Programatically, if you are good with .NET and already have integrations to Salesforce, you can use MetadataAPI insert fields in Salesforce. Please look at this post.
http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/81429/dynamically-create-bulk-custom-fields-at-a-single-shot
2. The Object Metadata is an XML Structure.  If you have your org connected to either Eclipse or Mavensmate, you can download the Objects and look at the structure. (it looks like XML). You can add additional XML information for your new fields and just save/deploy it.

Hope this helps.
i was trying to do this with Informatica and bit Jitterbit.  Neither one seemed to work reliably.  I guess I will download and install eclipse on my machine.  It can't be any worse.
i installed eclipse.  but cannot seem to see the objects for my projects in eclipse.
I am sure I am doing something wrong but don't know what.

I can see the two SF orgs which are projects in eclips.  but i cannot see the objects or fields.
howard
logontokartiklogontokartik
Ok. When you right click on the Project in your eclipse workspace, you can see something like Force.com and under Force.com you can see "Add Remove Metadata Components". Choose it and select Custom OBject from the list and refresh your local workspace. It will pull all objects, All you need to do is choose the object you want to add fields to the XML.