function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Michael SamwiseMichael Samwise 

Is there a free app I can download which shows off the best salesforce can do without apex?

I've been fiddling with salesforce and a bit with the new lightning features. I am not very experienced with salesforce, but have decades of custom software development under my belt. There is a lot to like about salesforce. And, the out of the box 'controls' as I would call them using my old frame of reference as a developer, as shockingly limited. I have been using workflow rules to populate the Name field with meaningful data, but it's all incredibly clunky.
I know there are enhancements via kits like gridbuddy and skuid. But I would like to see what a very good salesforece dev can do with the out of control features. I want to know the basics before I start relying on third party packages. I realize that the lightning features will eventually push the platform more towards where I want it to be, but all of that seems a ways off in terms of maturity.
I've done the tutorial and the udacity miniclass.
For these reasons I'd like to see how good the UI can be using the out of the box features of saleforce. Are there any free apps I can download which manifest the best it can be?  
Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
I don't think there is one all-emcompassing app that will show off the power of the entire platform, but it's pretty darned robust (your comment about Lightning is correct IMHO).

Is there anything more specific that we could help answer?
Michael SamwiseMichael Samwise
The focus of my post was on the UI elements, I think you missed that. I am not looking for a comprehensive exposition of the platform, which is probably impossible given the varied faces of salesforce.

I did mis-write one sentance. "But I would like to see what a very good salesforece dev can do with the out of control features." should have been "But I would like to see what a very good salesforece dev can do with the out of the box control features."

But anyways, as the second to last sentence says, "...I'd like to see how good the UI can be using the out of the box features of saleforce". 

There are many restrictions placed on the normal pages, at least as far as I can see. A good example is that when showing related records, the only column that can be displayed is Name. Since that's all one can list, I and others end up jumping through a lot of hoops to 'build' a useful string and apply it to Name via workflow rule. But Name is required so the user has to enter something, "x" or anything, knowing it'll be overwritten by the workflow rule.

That kind of hack is basically so primitive. I'm hoping that there is a way to exceed that kind of pattern with the built in feature set of salesforce. But I don't see it in the tutorials and I see people fighting the same "Name" issue, etc. Thus the interest in a showcase, maxed out exposition of the salesforce UI. Maybe one has to resort to third party apps like gridbuddy or skuid, or apex...but I would like to see what can be done without those, if there is a showcase app for built in UI elements.