function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ryanhca123ryanhca123 

Process Builder vs Classic Workflow

Two questions:

Classic Workflow Field Updates have an option "Re-evaluate Workflow Rules after Field Change". How does this work with Process Builder "Update Records" operations? Do all updates recurse to other PB processes?

Do Process Builder "Scheduled Actions" appear in the "Time-Based Workflow" screen?
Agustina GarciaAgustina Garcia
Process Builder has also this option, but this is related to the object thar starts the process, in my case Opportunity.

User-added image

However when you update a field, there is no option to avoid or allow this recursion. But this link, how triggers work (https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.apexcode.meta/apexcode/apex_triggers_order_of_execution.htm), maybe can help you, so you can see when the trigger evaluate Process Builder
ryanhca123ryanhca123
Thanks Augustina. I figured as much, but since they were in different places I wasn't sure. I guess I need to do more testing.

What about the second question? Any ideas?
Do Process Builder "Scheduled Actions" appear in the "Time-Based Workflow" screen?

ryanhca123ryanhca123
It's interesting that "Update Record" operations don't fire triggers like workflow field updates do. Seems inconsistent.
Agustina GarciaAgustina Garcia
Actually Process Builder will fire triggers during Update Record as long as this object has a trigger related to it. The only difference is that the "re-evaluation" and posibility of running the process again is only available on the object that starts the process. And if you think a bit it make sense. Workflow is a fantastic tool but it is based on a single object from the beggining till the end, so if you update a record of this object, the workflow can be executed again. However Process builder starts with an object but it can create / modify / etc some other objects, so which object can re-start the process again? The one where we have updated the field? No, because the Process Builder could start with a different one. Make sense?

Regarding the Schedule Actions questions. Not sure if I'm getting you. If you are wondering if we can schedule an action in process builder, yes, you can. But I also found an idea (https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000Df9JAAS) with your same question, so I think that what you want it is not possible.