function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tim STim S 

can I summarise records in the same object?

Hello,

I have a single Custom Object which contains two record types:  Club and Member.  Members belong to clubs and are linked by a Lookup that references the Club record type.  The reason why I do it this way instead of the more usual Master-Detail is that we need to deal with reports and communications that go to both.  So we don't want them in separate Objects.

I want to be able to store the numbers of members in each club at the start of each month, for historical records.  If I had the counts in a field in the Club Record Type I could use a time trigger and a field update to store the counts in a "History" object, so I need a field (formula or summary) that holds the count.  

I can't see a way to do this, using the available formula and summary options and I am wondering if anyone can suggest a solution.

Thanks

Tim
Mathew Andresen 5Mathew Andresen 5
I can't think of a way to do this using forumula's (not without using master detail of course).  Forumula's aren't meant to view other records.  This should be pretty easy to do with a trigger.  
Manuel Jiménez GonzálezManuel Jiménez González
Maybe you can use reporting snapshot?