function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tony ShouseTony Shouse 

Excel 2016 - SF Connector

Has anyone gotten the Excel Connector (https://code.google.com/p/excel-connector/) to work in Excel 2016? 
Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
Have you tried this?  https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Force.com_Excel_Connector
Tony ShouseTony Shouse
@Andy I did follow those directions.  I think there is a conflict with Excel 2016.  I have two users in my org on E16, I was not able to get it to show the add-in menu until randomly (I have not worked on it at all since posting this) it appeared this afternoon.  The other user has gotten it to work but the add-in menu will only appear some of the times she starts excel 16.

It's odd.   
Vasu PulipatiVasu Pulipati
It doesn't seem to work well with Excel 2013 either. The "Add-ins/Force.com connector" menu appears and works ok but "salesforce.com" menu doesn't appear at all. Is anyone able to make it work with 2013?
Tony ShouseTony Shouse
@Vasu - I have gotten the Connector to 'work' in Excel 2016 although only by hacking it each time.  To get it to work here are the steps that I follow:
- Load Excel 2016
- Go to Developer ribbon
- Click Excel-Add-ins
- uncheck Sforce_Connect
- Close Excel Add-ins
- Open Excel Add-ins
- Check Sforce_Connect
- Close Excel Add-ins
- Exit Excel 2016
- Open Excel 2016

Now the Excel Connector Add-in appears.  It works well for updating data and querying selected rows.  It returns errors inconstently when the Query Table Data function is used.

Hope that helps.  I've had to re-install an old version of Excel and have two versions.  
Vasu PulipatiVasu Pulipati
Tony,
Thanks for your quick response.
The "Excel connector" was working fine for me. I realized that I needed to install "Connect for Office" to be able to pull data from Salesforce reports into Excel. Once I installed it, I got the salesforce.com ribbon and it's all good now. Well, it didn't work right away.. I had to copy 2 files (SFDC.xla,
SFDC12.xlam) to XLSTART folder as described here (http://www.app-x.com/salesforce-connector-for-office-workaround/).

So, there are 2 different tools.. it took a while for me to realize that (the names are so generic and confusing)
Excel connector - for performing CRUD operations from Excel
Connect for Office - for pulling data from Salesforce reports into Excel/Word

Eric NortonEric Norton
Yes - we have the Connect for Office working with Excel 2016. We also just tested it with the non TLS 1.0 environment in the sandbox and it works fine (despite the fork in the eye warnings from SFDC)
Eric NortonEric Norton
Also - we have an improved version of the VBA code optimized for Excel 2016 which uses the Excel status window to update progress on reports refreshing (e.g. updating report 4 of 20), adds timers to the debug.print statements so you can see how long each report takes, and overall just loads a lot faster than the SFDC.xla and SFDC12.xlam combo.

After you download connect for office from SFDC, get this file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37d7sebdsuqwbuy/SDFC%20updated%20addin.xlam?dl=0

and put it in: C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART 

Daniel SchleiferDaniel Schleifer
Eric,
Could you lay out the steps you went through to get it to work?
Thanks!
Eric NortonEric Norton
Daniel,

1) Search on your computer for SFDC.xla and SFDC12.xlam - remove them. They could be in the program files directories so check there too.
2) Goto SFDC->Setup->Desktop Integration->Connect for Office... Close all your microsoft apps including outlook and then install. Note if you get an error saying an app like Word is open, stop and restart fromt the beginning.
3) See post above - take the file in my dropbox and put it into C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART 

That's it - you will see an additional ribbon entry called Add-Ins - and under that SFDC. Same rules apply - meaning you need to use your security token at the end of your password to login if you are using an IP address outside of your domain's trusted range...

Eric

PS - here are the improvements made - also noted in the code:

' Optimized the command bar creation and updating for Excel 2016 - much improved load time vs old method
' Added support for Windows 64 by adding PtrSafe to the dll declarations

' Removed all registry calls except for the username - not needed and speeds up performance

' In RefreshAll - added excel status bar message during update - "Updated report X of Y..."

' Also in RefreshAll - added debug.print statements to show how long each report takes to run

' Optimized debug.print statements to show most meaningful messages

' In OTWrap - the Login function - see notes on how to point to the test server for sandbox testing

' MAIN ROUTINES YOU WOULD NORMALLY CALL FROM YOUR OWN VBA CODE:

' IsLoggedIn - returns boolean if person is logged in
'       Example: logstatus = Application.Run("IsLoggedIn")

' Login - pops up the login box - pulls username from registry - password must be entered (also security token if applicable)
'       Example: Application.Run("Login")

' Logoff - logs off from SFDC
'       Example: Application.Run("Logoff")

' RefreshAll - Refreshs all reports
'       Example: Application.Run "RefreshAll"

Eric,
Thanks for this, but after going through these steps, I got a Compile Error upon opening Excel. Screenshot attached:
User-added image
Eric NortonEric Norton
Looks like the install didn't work - you should see a directory created called:

C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\Resources\1033

This only works on Windows 7 or Windows 10 - to my knowledge - haven't tested on anything else. Works for both 32 bit and 64 bit office...
Hey Eric,
Thanks again, but no luck. I cleaned out everything uninstalled, restarted, and began the process again. The install worked; the folder you mentioned is definitely in place, but unfortunately, I get the same error. I can send you the debug log if you're interested.
Eric NortonEric Norton
Sure - let me know what the variables srcFile and destFile are when it gets to that point - this is SFDC's code - but maybe we can figure out what is happening...
This excerpt from the debugger begins at the beginning of the function where the error occurs: the bold section below is the section that is highlighted in the debugger. This is beyond my knowledge of programming or anything like that, so I hope what I've provided here is useful! Thanks again!

Private Function CopyEnglishResources() As Boolean

On Error Resume Next

CopyEnglishResources = True

Dim oeResFolder As String, oeEngResFolder As String, oeCurrLocaleFolder As String
    oeResFolder = GetRootResourceFolder()

oeEngResFolder = oeResFolder & LCID_US_EN & "\"
    ' check if resource folder for US English exists
    If GetAttr(oeEngResFolder) And vbDirectory <> vbDirectory Then ' resource folder does not exist
        CopyEnglishResources = False
        Exit Function
    End If

oeCurrLocaleFolder = oeResFolder & LocaleId & "\"
    If GetAttr(oeCurrLocaleFolder) And vbDirectory <> vbDirectory Then ' resource folder does not exist
        ' create resource folder
        Debug.Print "Creating folder " & oeCurrLocaleFolder & " to store resources for Office Edition"
        MkDir oeCurrLocaleFolder
    End If

Dim srcFile As String, destFile As String
    srcFile = oeEngResFolder & APP_NAME & ".xml"
    destFile = oeCurrLocaleFolder & APP_NAME & ".xml"

Dim retVal As Long
    Err.Clear

retVal = CopyFile(StrPtr(srcFile), StrPtr(destFile), 1)
    If retVal = 0 Then ' copy file failed
        Debug.Print "Failed to copy resource file from English resource folder " & _
            "to folder specific to current user locale. (" & Err.LastDllError & ")"

Err.Clear
        FileCopy srcFile, destFile
        If Err.Number <> 0 Then
            Debug.Print "FileCopy of " & srcFile & " to " & destFile & " failed. " & Err.Description & " (" & Err.Number & ")"
            CopyEnglishResources = False
        End If

End If

End Function
Eric NortonEric Norton
Please check if you are running 64 bit or 32 bit Windows: Computer->System Properties - under System Type

Also please confirm Excel 2016
I can confirm that I'm running:
64-bit Windows 10
Excel 2016 (Office Standard Edition)
Eric NortonEric Norton
Very odd as that exact case is working fine here. I did make an update in drop box to improve the robustness of SFDC's declarations to make them more resilient - you can try that - but that shouldn't give you a compile error regardless... You might be getting a reference issue, which you can fix by opening the debugger - from Excel hit Alt-F11 and then do Tools->References.... you should see the checkboxes checked that look something like this below - normally you would get a reference error instead of a compile error if that happens though... If some of these aren't checked you can add them.

User-added image
Thanks again for trying so hard to help me resolve this. All of those options are checked in the debugger. I'm trying to download the new xlam, but the dropbox file link isn't work anymore. Is there an updated url?
Eric NortonEric Norton
yes - sorry:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77ap89oxxc7bwpb/unlocked%20SDFC%20updated%20addin%2021sep16.xlam?dl=0

You can also press Alt-F11 to bring up the debugger window, and in there you can press ctrl-G which brings up the immediate window where you can see the debug messages...
Thanks so much for all of your efforts. It's still just not working. Same compile error!
Eric NortonEric Norton
baffling - i made one last ditch change - try this (trying to debug something where I don't get the error you get - but same environment - bit of hit or miss... mostly miss)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vil5b879rok0p1/unlocked%20SFDC%20updated%20addin%2021sep16.xlam?dl=0

Hey Eric,
Thanks again for trying, but it just won't work. But seriously, thank you!!

-Dan
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Hi Eric,

Can you please provide the file again?  I tried to download the file mentioned above but it is stating that it no longer exists.

Thanks,

JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
sorry - i updated it - new link attached

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tedrmfpwo1k04qb/unlocked%20SDFC%20addin%20oct2016.xlam?dl=0

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Excellent, thank you Eric.

Thanks,

JT
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Hi Eric,

I get the follow VBS error:  Compile Error:  Type Mismatch

User-added image
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
It also highlighted the StrPtr (appDataFolder) about 1/3 of the way done.

thanks,

JT
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Here is additional information from the error:

10/19/16 4:24:23 PM Initializing resources for Office Edition (Excel)
FATAL: Failed to create Office Toolkit session object. Resources will not be loaded.
FATAL: Failed to initialize resources for Office Edition. 
About to load resources from local machine - EN version
About to request resources from SFDC app server. SERVERURL:   SID: 

Thanks,

JT
Hey JT,
These are pretty much the same errors that I encountered. Look earlier in this thread.

I actualy tried again today after installing an update to Excel, but nothing changed.
-Dan
Eric NortonEric Norton
JT,

It looks like the resources for SFDC office connect didn't load correctly on your system.

Have you done this step yet - in SFDC, Personal Setup->Connect for Office->Install Now (do it with all MS apps closed - including Outlook).

You will also need to have API user rights allowed from your admin - there is a link on that page for that.

Eric

https://na8.salesforce.com/setup/sforce/officesetup.jsp?setupid=OfficeSetup&retURL=%2Fui%2Fsetup%2FSetup%3Fsetupid%3DDesktopIntegration

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Thank you for the update Daniel. I did read your string but was hoping there was an update since it has been almost a month. Regards, JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
It may be permissions - JT and Daniel 

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=API-Access-Change-for-Connected-Apps&language=en_US

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Thank you Eric. I will check with my IT to see if I have these permissions. Regards, JT
My user profile is definitely API Enabled. Hmmmm.
Eric NortonEric Norton
OK - it is definitely related to the initalization - it can't find the app data folder. I hardcoded it to where it is supposed to be in this new version, please see if this works - I am running out of things to try - it has to be permissions related if this doesn't work... We have never encountered an issue with mulitple machines on Windows 7 and 10 all using Excel 2016 - the one other variable would be permissions to the API which we have set differently perhaps

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zry1u5uqylbym3n/unlocked%20SDFC%20updated%20addin%20oct2016a.xlam?dl=0

Eric NortonEric Norton
OK had some time to kill in the airport - what is happening is that the connect for office isn't loading on your systems. It isn't even getting to the part where is tries to initiate a session with SFDC - so it isn't permissions. 

This version of the plugin - which goes into  C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART - will detect when the connect for office resources can't be loaded and give you message and die gracefully instead of getting type mismatches:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0v0ey3ktudgt64c/20oct16%20SDFC%20updated%20addin.xlam?dl=0

So the question is why isn't it loading? We have seen issues before where if you try to install Connect for Office and it prompts you that you have Word or Outlook open and then you try to go again - it doesn't work. Suggest when you get to the page in SFDC that has the option to download the connector for office install kit - instead of hitting "Install Now" - download the install kit from the Click Here link. And when you go to install it make sure all the MS office opps are closed. If you get an error message - don't hit continue/retry - just stop. We have seen this behavior before - it doesn't install correctly when office opps are open.

https://na8.salesforce.com/setup/sforce/officesetup.jsp?setupid=OfficeSetup&retURL=%2Fui%2Fsetup%2FSetup%3Fsetupid%3DDesktopIntegration

Good news is that when this is fixed - it is fixed foreever on that machine. You should see Salesforce Office Edition installed on your machine when you check Programs and Features - try uninstall and re-install if needed...

Eric

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Hi Eric, So I uninstalled the salesforce connector, made sure there were no additional salesforce files, restarted my computer, reinstalled the program, installed your updated file, and it still gets stuck at with the same error and same string. StrPtr(appDataFolder) Regards, JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
JT - can you please press ALT F11 to open the debugger then ctrl-G and open the immediate window - and copy paste those - messages - should look something like:

10/21/2016 7:44:26 AM Initializing resources for Office Edition (Excel)
LocalizationContext object created successfully
Successfully loaded resources from local machine for user default locale.
10/21/2016 7:44:26 AM Initializing resources for Office Edition (Excel)
Successfully loaded resources from local machine for user default locale.
Creating Command Bar
From UpdateCB.... Is Loggedin = False

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Hi Eric, Thank you for your time. Here is the error: 10/21/16 7:59:39 AM Initializing resources for Office Edition (Excel) FATAL: Failed to create Office Toolkit session object. Resources will not be loaded. FATAL: Failed to initialize resources for Office Edition. About to load resources from local machine - EN version About to request resources from SFDC app server. SERVERURL: SID: Regards, JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
JT - it is not finding the SFDC toolkit - so the call to initialize is resulting in null... can you click Tools->References and ensure the SForceOfficeToolkit3 line is selected... should look something like below... The other possibility is it is getting installed in a different directory for some reason - please see location below to make sure in same place...

User-added image

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Eric, everything is in the right place and checked. One thing I did notice in your code is the location of the Private Const. The one being used is vague on where it is looking for the information while the other is specific and this information is correct. Not sure what the code is looking for in the Resource folder but I do not see this information within the folder. Could it be that the locations are not setup correctly in the code? Private Const CLIENT_EN_RES_INSTALL_FOLDER As String = "salesforce.com\Office Edition\Resources\" & LCID_US_EN & "\" 'Private Const CLIENT_EN_RES_INSTALL_FOLDER As String = "C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\Resources\1033" Regards, JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
That directory should look like this

User-added image

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Hi Eric, The directory is correct. The information I provided in the earlier comment was from your macro under CResource. Regards, JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
The only other thing i can think of is that the code was using a couple different versions of file copy depending on which VBA version - I changed it - please try this - if it doesn't work please do Alt F11 and ctrl G and send me the the log - thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v7atl7x5t52ri9/24oct16%20SDFC%20updated%20addin.xlam?dl=0

Dennis SawinDennis Sawin
Hi Eric,

Even with the version from Oct24 I get a type mismatch error. Unfortunately I am not working on the same machine so can't post the log. Thanks for all the effort anyhow.

Is there someway I can check whether the office toolkit installed properly?

Best,
Dennis

PS: I'm also running Office2016 on Win10 64bit
Eric NortonEric Norton
Dennis,

When you get a chance to hit F11 and ctrl-G and post the debug messages - that will help me understand what is happening. I added a lot more messages to help debug this. I know this is solveable as we have installed this on the same machines - we just have to zero in on the exact issue.

Eric
Eric NortonEric Norton
BTW - if anyone having trouble has their PC set to a language other than English (United States) - that would be good to know. This is set via Control Panel->Region and Language. I can probably modify the code to accommodate but it isn't setup currently (from SFDC) to do anything except English (United States)...
Dennis SawinDennis Sawin
Hi Eric,

Indeed I'm running on a German version. Since Win10 I thought language packs don't make any differences to folder structure etc. though...

Considering the log, your suspicion is correct: it can't find the office toolkit. Is there any way I can check whether it's been installed properly? Where should the files be found?

Best,
Dennis

InitResources(): Initializing resources for Office Edition (Excel) - EN version 26.10.2016 14:25:51
InitResources(): FATAL: Failed to create Office Toolkit session object. Resources will not be loaded
InitApplication(): FATAL: Failed to initialize resources for Office Edition
LoadResources(): About to load resources from local machine - EN version
LoadLocal(): Exiting function - not initialized
LoadServer(): About to request resources from SFDC app server. SERVERURL:   SID: 
LoadServer(): Exiting function - not initialized
Eric NortonEric Norton
thanks Dennis - that was a shortcoming of the code from SFDC - let me patch it to allow other languages - stand by
Eric NortonEric Norton
Dennis - can you please show me what this directory looks like for you:

C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\Resources\ or it could be

C:\Program Files\salesforce.com\Office Edition\Resources\ 

For me there is a folder called 1033 which is the Microsoft code for the US English language - for German it could be 1031 - but i just need to see if the binary from SFDC is hardcoded to 1033... 

Thanks much - Eric
Dennis SawinDennis Sawin
You're right no 1031 to be found. I've duplicated the folder so that there is also a "1031" folder but same log in Excel

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition> ls

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                -------------         ------ ----
d-----       26.10.2016     10:45                Resources
-a----       27.02.2015     16:29         626688 XlDownWrap.dll

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition> cd resources
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\resources> ls

Verzeichnis: C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\resources

d-----       26.10.2016     10:45                1033

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\resources> cd 1033
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\resources\1033> ls

Verzeichnis: C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\resources\1033

-a----       18.02.2015     18:35             23 modKey
-a----       18.02.2015     18:35          11730 OfficeEdition.xml

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\resources\1033>
Eric NortonEric Norton
Thanks - so the binary hard codes the install into 1033.... now on the user side - can you please check:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\

There should be a directory in there - for me it is called 1033 and in there there are two files (the modkey and OfficeEdition.xml files above). You can try to manually copy the files from C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\resources\1033 to your 

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\1033 directory

Dennis SawinDennis Sawin
I copied the whole Resources folder - no luck; still the same log

PS C:\Users\Dennis Sawin\appdata\roaming\salesforce.com\office edition> ls

Verzeichnis: C:\Users\Dennis Sawin\appdata\roaming\salesforce.com\office edition

d-----       26.10.2016     15:01                1031
d-----       26.10.2016     15:01                1033
d-----       26.10.2016     14:59                Resources
-a----       27.02.2015     16:29         626688 XlDownWrap.dll

PS C:\Users\Dennis Sawin\appdata\roaming\salesforce.com\office edition>
Eric NortonEric Norton
OK - can you try this please and let me know if you are getting any errors and if so what exactly they are - and then please send the debug logs 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eorexhya6ugpbka/26oct16%20SDFC%20updated%20addin.xlam?dl=0

Dennis SawinDennis Sawin
Error Log is now
InitResources(): Initializing resources for Office Edition (Excel) - EN version 26.10.2016 16:19:44
InitResources(): Machine Language ID: 1031

Apparently something is wrong with "StrPtr(appDataFolder)" in GetRootResourceFolder()
Eric NortonEric Norton
So i don't know why - but the way SFDC wrote the code to get your windows username isn't compatible with your system - so I used an alternate method - it needs that to determine where to create the directories...

Here is another verion

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eorexhya6ugpbka/26oct16a%20SDFC%20updated%20addin.xlam?dl=0

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Here is the log info I receive. It is not working. InitResources(): Initializing resources for Office Edition (Excel) - EN version 10/26/16 9:42:38 AM InitResources(): Machine Language ID: 1033 GetRootResourceFolder(): Creating folder C:\Users\JT\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\ to store resources for Office Edition GetRootResourceFolder(): Exiting with folder = C:\Users\JT\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\ CopyResources(): Creating folder C:\Users\JT\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\1033\ to store resources for Office Edition CopyResources(): Copying resources from Office Edition install folder to user's app data folder Regards, JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
That looks good - does it just stop there?
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Yes with the mismatch error. Regards, JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
there was another system call - replaced it..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qh8h170cy749vx/26oct16b%20SDFC%20updated%20addin.xlam?dl=0

Dennis SawinDennis Sawin
With the same log as JT I realized what the problem is. SFDC is created in the folder  C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\resources\1033  mind "Office Edition" with a space.

Now I copied all the files to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\ also with the space before Edition.

Eric, your script now created the folders in OfficeEdition (without space) but they are empty. Now that I duplicated the content into that folder Excel seems to be finally starting with the SFDC addin, so the typemismatch error is solved. But I get a new error with the SFDC plugin itself:
User-added image
Eric NortonEric Norton
it is supposed to be spaces on the program files side and no spaces in the app data side - don't ask me why - that's how it was setup

CopyResources(): Copying C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\Office Edition\Resources\1033\OfficeEdition.xml to C:\Users\enorton\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\1033\OfficeEdition.xml

let me know what the logs look like now 
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
I am closer. Excel now asks me to enable the macros but then I get the following error. [cid:9bea64d6-d8fd-4fe7-b081-d70eb8b6a71f] Regards, JT Sprockett VP National Field Service Cellphone: 303.330.4194 joe.sprockett@csa1.net www.csasolutions.co The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged; it is intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this communication in error you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and please notify the sender immediately. Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Eric NortonEric Norton
try this - it is a simple checker with all the install instructions

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojpto0dr119a13l/SFDC%20connector%20checker.xlsm?dl=0

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Which add-in are you referencing in your directions? SFDC updated addin.xlam Where is this located? Regards, JT Sprockett VP National Field Service Cellphone: 303.330.4194 joe.sprockett@csa1.net www.csasolutions.co The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged; it is intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this communication in error you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and please notify the sender immediately. Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Eric NortonEric Norton
that's the same one in the dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qh8h170cy749vx/26oct16b%20SDFC%20updated%20addin.xlam?dl=0

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
I get the same error I mentioned earlier and here is the log. InitResources(): Initializing resources for Office Edition (Excel) - EN version 10/26/16 11:41:20 AM InitResources(): Machine Language ID: 1033 GetRootResourceFolder(): Exiting with folder = C:\Users\JT\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\ InitResources(): FATAL: Failed to create Office Toolkit session object. Resources will not be loaded InitApplication(): FATAL: Failed to initialize resources for Office Edition LoadResources(): About to load resources from local machine - EN version LoadLocal(): Exiting function - not initialized LoadServer(): About to request resources from SFDC app server. SERVERURL: SID: LoadServer(): Exiting function - not initialized GetRootResourceFolder(): Exiting with folder = C:\Users\JT\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\ LoadLocal(): Exiting function - not initialized InitApplication(): FATAL: Failed to load resources for Office Edition InitApplication(): FATAL: Exiting Regards, JT Sprockett VP National Field Service Cellphone: 303.330.4194 joe.sprockett@csa1.net www.csasolutions.co The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged; it is intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this communication in error you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and please notify the sender immediately. Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Dennis SawinDennis Sawin
Very similar log here...

InitResources(): Initializing resources for Office Edition (Excel) - EN version 26.10.2016 20:08:02
InitResources(): Machine Language ID: 1031
GetRootResourceFolder(): Exiting with folder = C:\Users\Dennis Sawin\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\
InitResources(): FATAL: Failed to create Office Toolkit session object. Resources will not be loaded
InitApplication(): FATAL: Failed to initialize resources for Office Edition
LoadResources(): About to load resources from local machine - EN version
LoadServer(): About to request resources from SFDC app server. SERVERURL:   SID: 
LoadServer(): Exiting function - not initialized
GetRootResourceFolder(): Exiting with folder = C:\Users\Dennis Sawin\AppData\Roaming\salesforce.com\OfficeEdition\
InitApplication(): FATAL: Failed to load resources for Office Edition
InitApplication(): FATAL: Exiting

Eric NortonEric Norton
Are you perhaps using the 64 bit version of office 2016? You can use 64 bit windows 7 or 10, but I believe you need to use the 32 bit version of Excel 2016... I will try to get a pc from IT that is setup with 64 bit office to see if I can make it work, but the sfdc binary was definitely written for 32 bit excel The error messages are saying the calls to the binary library are not working... Eric
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Yes, I am using 64 bit Windows 10 and Office 2016. Regards, JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
Those are independent...for a quick fix you can change your office 2016 installation to the 32 bit one...even on a 64 bit windows machine Eric
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Thank you Eric. I need to stick with 64 bit for because of the types of documents and coding I am using. These are data heavy documents. Regards, JT
Eric NortonEric Norton
ok - attached are updated files for the checker - which includes all the detailed instructions on how to install plus an updated add-in file which will STOP you from going any further if you are running 32 bit office. You CAN run 64 bit windows 7 or windows 10 however. All of our testing was done with Office 2016 32 bit edition 

the checker and install instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojpto0dr119a13l/SFDC%20connector%20checker.xlsm?dl=0
the addin: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj8trd6y1ph9auh/oct16%20SDFC%20updated%20addin.xlam?dl=0

When I get time I will get a 64 bit office version from IT and try to get it to work - but the binaries from SFDC are not something I can change...
Dennis SawinDennis Sawin

Oh, I thought using 64bit Office on 64bit Win was obvious - didn't think about it anymore or about the fact that the connector is ages old and probably 32bit only...

Unfortunately I also can't switch to 32bit as we're making reports on all leads of our org that are just too big to handle in 32bit Excel.

Sorry for wasting your time Eric. I guess since there is no chance to get an updated connector from SFDC this issue dies right here, right?

Eric NortonEric Norton
I sent the request into SFDC for them to give us just the .DLL that is compiled to work with 64 bits. I'll let you know. For those of you with 32 bit office installations, I have updated the sample file and added some tips...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojpto0dr119a13l/SFDC%20connector%20checker.xlsm?dl=0
Eric NortonEric Norton
And anyone with a good relationship wiht their customer success reps - the specific ask is that we'd like a new .DLL compiled to work with 64 bit Office to replace C:\Program Files (x86)\salesforce.com\OfficeToolkit\3.0\SF_MSApi3.dll

We don't need a new installer package or anything fancy...they already have the source code I believe they just need to recompile with the compiler switch "-any" (from what I've read)
Pre-Sales Pre-SalesPre-Sales Pre-Sales
You dont need a dedicated connector in Excel 2016! It is a build-in feature now!
Just go to Data > New Query > From nline Services and run the SFDC-wizard to connect to your objects or reports.
Eric NortonEric Norton
Just a word of caution on using Queries directly in Excel, for example the Microsoft PowerBI tools, which you can get to in Excel 2016 from Data->New Query->From Other Sources->From Salesforce Reports...

PowerBi doesn’t allow import of the matrix format from SFDC – you have to rebuild the data as a pivot essentially – then you are limited to 2000 rows in your import. That doesn't work for us - the matrix reports in SFDC are not limited to 2000 rows.

We've looked at other import tools and they had similar issues with the importing of matrix reports... I am not familiar with the one mentioned above 

JT SprockettJT Sprockett
I too cannot be limited to 2000 rows. I run fairly large data sets. Get Outlook for iOS
Frank AveryFrank Avery
Eric.  Great work here!  I have been working to get this working in Excel 2016 64 Bit as well.  (You have made way more improvements ) I ran into the same conclusion that the SFDC Office Connect DLL file needed to be compiled for 64 Bit.  Did you get any response from them?  I am going to see if we can leverage our relationship manager and find a way to reach the right group.  I very much want to keep this tool alive and working.  
Eric NortonEric Norton
Frank, Yes the developer in sfdc responsible for the code has agreed to meet with me. Will let you know how it goes. Eric
Frank AveryFrank Avery
Excellent news! I will watch for an update in this thread. Again this is a great effort and much appreciated.
Eric NortonEric Norton
Will let you know after the meeting regarding 64 bit office DLL support - in the meantime - for those running Office 32 bit - I cleaned up some stuff and there are 3 files in this dropbox folder: 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l6qvi1tmehijnfs/AABdLDJusOqFwAFQryVUV3CLa?dl=0

-- Installation instructions and tips
-- A sample file with code that calls connect for office that you can quickly season to taste
-- An updated plug-in
Eric NortonEric Norton
it is normally a hidden folder (good point I should add that to the documentation) - if you go into the a file browser and just paste in

C:\Users\janei\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

... should work - the alternative is setting your file system to show hidden files

Eric NortonEric Norton
Update on 64 bit office version: My customer success rep had a call setup with the developer at SFDC responsible for the code - I have his name because we talked to him when they announced they would not support connect for office after TLS 1.0 support is dropped. Those of you on this thread of course know we have tested connect for office with the non TLS environment and it works fine.

The meeting has been delayed - there is some hesitation at the request from SFDC's behalf which I don't fully understand yet. Will let you know in real time. I do have an Office 64 laptop ready in my office for testing.

In the meantime - I added a bit.ly link to the dropbox account so I can get some idea on how many people are downloading, which I can use to put pressure on SFDC to make a move (dropbox itself doesn't give you these stats)

http://bit.ly/connectforoffice - points to the dropbox folder with the files you need

Eric
Jane Isaac 15Jane Isaac 15
Thank you. Got it working.

Years ago, when I was using the old Ron Hess Excel Connector, I would often use it to query fields for particular records by having the SFDC ID in the first column and the field names that I wanted in the subsequent columns. That way, if I had a list of a few records that I wanted to update en masse, I could do that. I don't believe that I was starting from a report, which the instructions seem to indicate I need to do.

Is that an option with this new Connector?

If not, and I pull down a report of contacts, for instance, (which I have done), if I want to update just a few records from the report and push that back to the records, how do I do that?
Eric NortonEric Norton
Jane - this is connect for office - which allows you to download mutiple reports including formatted matrix reports with a single click and then use Excel to create powerful dashboards (especially useful for what's changed today, this week, etc). Connect for Office is uni-directional - just downloads from SFDC to Excel

The excel connector - which I have not used - is I believe what you are referring to - bi-directional. You can find some info here

https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Force.com_Excel_Connector

Eric

Jane Isaac 15Jane Isaac 15
Thanks eric - yes, you are correct - the bi-directional one was the one I used alot. Although I ALSO made heavy use of the Connect for Office years ago when I worked for some data junkies and had a couple of templates that had 8-10 reports (data sets). It made it so much easier to have a first page that compiled and displayed the data the way the CEO liked to see them using data from the reports and then just refresh the file to get the most current data.

I am so glad to see this functionality is available again. I think it went away or was neglected for awhile but is such a great tool. Thanks for your help. I was also able to get the Bi-directional tool installed, much to my delight as well. I wasnt sure if it would work in Excel 2016 but it appears to be working just like an old long lost friend!

Jane
Eric NortonEric Norton
Update on connect for office working with 64 bit office: We had a call yesterday with SFDC including one of the developers responsibile for the original code. As a reminder, the existing DLL that installs for connect for office only works with 32 bit office. SFDC's position is that it would be too hard to revamp that code to work for 64 bit office and instead they are giving us examples of API calls we can use to rebuild our own DLL that will work with 64 bit office. I guess an advantage to doing it this way is we can control the calls and them make that DLL look pretty much exactly like the 32 bit DLL, so it will be relatively easy for us to adapt the plug-in....or so they say. It is a bit disappointing that they aren't just doing this for us. However if/when we get this to work we will share with this community who realizes the value of automated mass downloads of multiple reports and needs to use 64 bit office

Eric
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Thank you for the help and updates Eric. Regards, JT
AMMalenaAMMalena
Looking forward to progress on this.  I stuck with Excel... '97?  Or maybe one later...  for years at my last company as I had heavily modified the XLA for our purposes and fixes I felt should have been in the package.

Now I'm at a new company, and after 2 months, want to start with Excel Connector again.  But I'm on Excel 2016 64-bit (64-bit WIndows obviously) and REALLY look forward to seeing EConn available.   :-)

-Anthony
Anthony MalenaAnthony Malena
Side comment to my last post (above):   I now see that FINANCIAL FORCE has either written themjselves, or updated Excel Connector, their OWN Excel Connector.  Two variations, tied DEEPLY to Financial Force itself.  

Since it's a perk offered only to paying customers, I am woe to simply take it and rip out it's guts and make it work for all objects (as I assume it's protected legally - but now that I write "assume", I will email and ask them).  

But it works all the way up and through Excel 64bit 2016 version.... so.....  the actual WORK of making (FF's vesion of) Excel Connector has long been done and used.

Maybe someone here involved with making the public Excel Connector work could look at the code there, or contact FF as well?     @Eric Norton  (how do you tag, again..??)

-Anthony

(for some reason, clicking Profile names yields an unformatted useless page for me - Chrome, Windows 10)
Eric NortonEric Norton
Developer working on the DLL - stay tuned - may have something to test next week
Eelco de VriesEelco de Vries
Hello Eric,

Do you have more info yet?

Kind regards,
Eelco
David Wright 8David Wright 8
Hi Eric,
The current .xla is missing from dropbox, can we have this version until you complete your current work.  btw thanks for the great work on this.
David.
Eric NortonEric Norton
It is back in there – didn’t realize it was gone
Is there somewhere "official" to track progrss on Excel Connector 64bit?  And, is there a place where powerusers can pull the current ieteration and test with?   Thanks!
Eric NortonEric Norton
Developers are still working on the DLL for 64 bit and I will test as soon as they are done – apologies for delays but our business is at end of fiscal year… Eric
No problem - real business comes first of course.  ;-)
Josh GrahamJosh Graham
Has anyone gotten the "Unable to retrieve the requested report.  Please log in to salesforce.com using a web browser to confirm the report's availability.  I'm able to successfully log into salesforce through excel and I have checked that the report still exists.  Infact, any report I run gives the same error.  Please share if there is a way around this! Thanks!  Also on a side note, if I ever do get to run reports in excel, is there a way to pull just certain dates from the report before running it?  Thanks again!
Josh GrahamJosh Graham
I'm able to pull reports from the regular built in excel option (through the data tab in excel), however I am not able to with the setup that is given in this blog.  I have the "add-ins" tab and I am able to log in successfully and I am able to click "Import a Report" and see all of the reports available to me.  But actually being able to pull a report is a different story.  No matter what report it throws the error "Unable to retrieve the requested report.  Please log in to salesforce.com using a web browser to confirm the report's availability."  I am able to verify the report and pull the report with the built in excel connector (but it has the 2000 record limit which doesn't work for me).  Can anyone help?
Eric NortonEric Norton
Josh, When you use the excel connector it creates a hidden tab called SalesForceReportData – just unhide it In there make sure the sheet names and report names and links are accurate to what you are trying to do. If that doesn’t work there is a permission setting in SFDC – around letting you be able to call data from APIs – see earlier in this thread… Eric
Josh GrahamJosh Graham
Hey Eric, thanks for your input and the help throughout the whole thread already, I appreciate it! I went to https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=API-Access-Change-for-Connected-Apps&language=en_US and I can't find the setting.  However, I'm able to pull data through the regular data tab in excel (but is limited by 2000) records.  So does this mean its already checked?  My setup doesn't seem to be the same as in the directions in that link.  Also in the hidden tab it shows the information correct I believe (shows the salesforce report code, the items after the "/" in the web address, then it shows the tab I'm trying to put a report on, then a #1, then where its coming from on salesforce (what folder), then the actual report name, then the time, then what cell i'm putting it in).
Eric NortonEric Norton
Josh, The setting would need to be set by your administrator – I don’t know how the Microsoft version in Excel works – but the Excel Connector uses SOAP to login and that might need to be enabled… Eric
Josh GrahamJosh Graham
Eric, I went to my administrators and they said API access is already enabled for my account.  Do you have any other ideas that may help? I appreciate all of your time!
Claire JonesClaire Jones
Hi Eric
Just come across this thread, and to me you are a lifesafer. Obviously I've yet to see if your solution works for me past TLS1.0 disablement, but thank you for all the work you have done thus far. Fingers crossed :-)
Claire
Josh GrahamJosh Graham
If you figure anything else out Eric, please let me know!  Thanks so much, you've helped alot within this thread already.  I still cannot unfortunately get it to work with Excel 2016 even though it's close.  I can get it to pop up a window and show all the reports in excel from salesforce, but not actually pull any data as mentioned above.
Eric NortonEric Norton
Josh Send me some screen shots when you get a chance...especially of the debugger messages...press ctrl G in the debugger Thanks Eric
Eric NortonEric Norton
Thank you for the kind words…
Stephen RossStephen Ross
Hi guys - Just wanted to say I've been following this thread for a while in hopes a solution would be found to the 64-bit SFDC/EXCEL connector.

I get the typical "Compile error: The code in this project must be updated for use on 64-bit systems. Please review and update Declare statements and then mark them with the PtrSafe attribute." error message.

Awesome job to Eric so far for all you've done here, man!  Having the SFDC plug-in working again on this 64-bit version will be like Christmas came early!!

Thanks
-Stephen
Eric NortonEric Norton
Yes the DLL for 32 bit will not work for 64 bit Excel - we had a meeting with SFDC and got some code examples and we have a developer working on what will be a DLL that will work for 64 bit excel - and then I need to modify the connector code to call that DLL... It has been delayed a bit due to priorities - but in Feb I am hopeful will have something to test. He is making progress on it...
Josh EdwardsJosh Edwards
Any update on this?
Eric NortonEric Norton
Hi Josh, Yes – he is almost there on the new DLL – just working through getting it to register properly now with Windows – I am traveling next week but hopefully will have something to test when I get back. Eric
Josh EdwardsJosh Edwards
Eric - Fantastic! Let me know if you need some additional testing, i'm here to contribute. Running Windows 10 64-Bit on Office 365 (Excel 2016 64 Bit).
Tunde Adewale 7Tunde Adewale 7
Hi Eric, I would be happy to test as well. I'm running Office Professional Plus 2016 32 bit on Windows 7 Enterprise and Office Professional Plus 64 bit of Windows 10.
Brian GlassBrian Glass
While it was nice to come along this thread, I think SF has finally found a way to slam the door on the Excel Add-In workarounds...  This morning we got an email that Conect for Office versions prior to 1.8.1.6 will cease to connect to SF after 2/24/17 due to certificate changes.  For the Add-In in this thread to work, Connect for Office must be installed.  Connect for Office is technically only supported through Office 2007.  Prior versions didn't care what Office version you had installed, but the new version (1.8.1.6) will no longer install unless Word 2003 or Word 2007 exists on the target machine.  If connectivity truly ceases after tomorrow, I think the door just slammed.

Anybody have a workaround for the Connect for Office 1.8.1.6 install??
Eric NortonEric Norton
Brian If you install the add in in the dropbox folder you will be all set...if you are running 32 bit office...64 bit coming soon Eric
Brian GlassBrian Glass
So that version no longer requires the underlying Connect for Office to be installed?
Brian GlassBrian Glass
The installation instructions in the Dropbox location state Connect for Office MUST be installed prior to using the XLAM add-in provided in that location.  You can no longer install Connect for Office without Word 2003 or Word 2007 installed on the target machine.  Per a communique from Salesforce distributed last night, Connect for Office v1.8.1.5 and prior will no longer connect to SF after 2/24/17 due to certificate changes.  Since 1.8.1.6 cannot be installed unless Word 2003 or 2007 is installed on the machine, that presents a problem.  Am I missing something here?
Eric NortonEric Norton
It does still call the DLL yes... Eric
Eric NortonEric Norton
It is because the Connect for Office uses the two file .xla and .xlam – which are cobbled together to support multiple excel versions. You remove those and replace them with the .xlam in the drop box – which removes all the dependencies on the old office versions. The DLL itself – the only thing left over after the installation is done – is what I call from from new .xlam – it simply sets up the SFDC session – it has nothing to do with Microsoft office… Also certificate changes are related to TLS 1.0 – which while SFDC doesn’t want to say – connect for office works fine with the TLS 1.0 disabled and the new versions enabled. This is also in the thread somewhere… Hope that helps Eric
Eric NortonEric Norton
UPDATE on new DLL 

As discussed we wrote a DLL which completely removes any dependency on the connect for office installation or DLL. We are able to login and logout using 32 bit and 64 bit office machines (the connect for office from SFDC does not work with 64 bit office). Rewrote the .xlam file to use this (also added ability to point to different server in the login dialog, store the security token in the registry, etc).

Still working through some issues on the report retrievals and will continue to test this week. Hope to be able to share soon...
🙌👏
Almost there! You are a hero, Eric! 
Eric, If you need extra testers please let me know. I have Windows 10 64 Bit + Excel 2016 64 Bit.
thanks for all your effort.
Eric NortonEric Norton
Finally... a connect for office solution that doesn't use anything from SFDC - and works on 32 bit or 64 bit office.

http://bit.ly/connectforoffice

Select the folder New - 32bit or 64bit - then open and read the Word doc which will give you install instructions. You will need to install a DLL and then move the new .xlam file into your Excel startup directory. We've tested this on several machines with Windows 7 and Windows 10, office 32 and office 64 - hopefully that covers it, but those of you who volunteered to test would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks much to Madhu Poreddy for the DLL...
So this 32/64bit connector solution.... just so I (we) am (are) clear... does it involve existing AND new versions of Excel Connector, or is an updated copy of EC versus that available on the Google page required?

Thanks.  Sounds exciting as heck.  ;-O
Eric NortonEric Norton
This is connect for office – not excel connector Connect for office allows you to pull reports from SFDC into excel – and do one click mass updates of tons of data – which is now in excel so you can add whatever code to it to have all sorts of dashboards update with a single click. I have not used excel connector but my understanding is that it is bi-directional. Connect for office just pulls data from SFDC into excel – it does not push it back. Eric
Right.  I understand that the recent discussion was about Connect For Office.   This thread seemed to have two main paths:  Connect For Office, and the original topic, Excel Connector being used with Excel 2016.

Given the length and varied discussions herein, I was hoping someone could answer if by having an adequate 32 and 64 bit updated Connect For Office, if that means Excel Connector "as it already exists" will work, or if it ITSELF still needs updating.  At my new position, I've been in Excel 2016 for a long time, and have not had Excel Connector since it was useless.  :-/

I could of course spend the time try-and-see;  I assumed someone could answer more simply on this active thread.  

Thanks  ;)
Eric NortonEric Norton
Someone could absolutely take the code we’ve written and apply it to anything that communicates with SFDC in Excel. The DLL essentially just logs in and sets up the session. We create the cookie in VBA and use standard XML header requests to get data – plus Excel query tables.
Okay.  Since a straight answer is not possible at the moment, I'll sit on this a couple days.  If I do not see someone answer it straight up, then I'll start testing myself as theoretically this updated Connect For Office solves that part of the problem (if not, possibly, the whole problem, lacking an answer).
Stephen RossStephen Ross
Eric - Correct me if I'm wrong, because sometimes I'm slow (ha!!), it sounds like installing/loading in the code provided is a precursor for the Excel Connector to work again in the 64bit world, but that there is more coding that needs to take place before the Excel Connector will work.  Right?  I ask because I know I don't want to go through all the trouble getting this setup for the Connector to still not work.  KUDOS to you all for getting this part finished either way!
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
Hello All, I just downloaded and installed the files and it worked perfectly. The Word instructions were dead on and worked as expected. I did not need to load anything additional other than what was advised in the instructions. Regards, JT Cell: 303.330.4194
Eric NortonEric Norton
Stephen These files are just for connect for office. The methods used to make connect for office work in 64 bit can be applied to the excel connector. Eric
Eric NortonEric Norton
Thanks JT Eric
Hello Eric,
I am testing the new DLL. I have now the put the .xalm in the XLSTART and installed the new DLL,in the Framework64\v4.0.30319 directory and installed this via the CMD as a admin.
I see in the excel the Add-In, but I am not able to login. I get an error: Login(): Login failed - try again. We are not using the Security token, because we are in a trusted enviorment. Windows 10 64Bits with Excel 2016 64Bits.

Kind regards,
Eelco de Vries
Eric NortonEric Norton
Try using a token....also check debug messages Eric
JT SprockettJT Sprockett
We don't use token's but I was able to log in with no issues. Regards, JT Sprockett VP National Field Service Cellphone: 303.330.4194 jt.sprockett@csa1.net www.csa-service.com "Comprehensive Service Solutions for Your Business." The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged; it is intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this communication in error you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and please notify the sender immediately. Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Eric NortonEric Norton
Anyone having trouble with new connect for office...feel free to send me a private email to ebn1019@gmail.com Also i took a look at excel connector code and will take a shot at getting it to work...it uses the same library calls...as far as i can see... Eric
Altin Elezi 8Altin Elezi 8
Cdata Software has created The Salesforce Excel Add-In that is a powerful tool that allows you to connect with live Salesforce.com account data, directly from Microsoft Excel. Use Excel to read, write, and update Leads, Contacts, Opportunities, Accounts, etc. Perfect for mass imports / exports / updates, data cleansing & de-duplication, Excel based data analysis, and more!

You may want to get more detail here: https://www.cdata.com/drivers/salesforce/excel/
The folder XLSTART does not exist for me inside of: C:\Users\daniel\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel
Should I create it, or am I looking in the wrong place? 
(Yes, I am showing hidden folders.)

Thanks!
Eric NortonEric Norton
You can create it in there – it would normally be empty except for an add-ins that load when Excel starts…
Hello Eric,

I found why I cannot login. It is our proxy that blocked the connection. When I am at home without any proxy, then the login is working.
Do you have an idea how we can solve this?

Kind regards,
Eelco de Vries
Eric NortonEric Norton
You could try this – the settings for Internet Explorer for things like security (e.g. TLS 1.0, 1.1, etc) are what set the security for the windows SOAP calls… even though you might not use IE as a browser… Internet Explorer 1. Open Internet Properties, click the Security tab, and then click the Custom level button in the Security level for this zone section. 2. A Security Settings dialog appears. Scroll down the list of security settings and locate the Miscellaneous section, and select Enable for the Access data sources across domains setting. 3. Click Apply.
Hello Eric,

No this is not solving the problem. Sorry.
Kind regards,
Eelco de Vries
Apparently no one is having problems with the registration of the DLL?  My 64bit Windows 10 apparently does not have regasm so I cannot even register the DLL properly.
Eric NortonEric Norton
Let me see if we can change the DLL so you can input your proxy username and password… stand by
Eric NortonEric Norton
Regasm is in the directory where you put the DLL – you have the cd into that directory first
Silly me.  I ASSumed it was in the path and I was keeping the DLL somewhere else.  Search in C: did not find regasm so it's apparently masked somehow from searches.  :-P  Thanks.

Hello Eric,

Thanks for your help.
Kind regards
Eelco de Vries
I can verify:
  • I was able to regasm the DLL in my own directory (just personal preference)
  • I was able to login to Sandbox (no Token) and query a report
As time permits, I'll try verify why I'm getting a "must update..." error still in Excel Connector (the supposed "64 bit version") as soon as it loads.  Hopefully I didn't do something silly like download the original 32bit and rename it with a 64bit reference or something.

User-added image
Eric NortonEric Norton
Ok – thanks I am taking a shot at getting the Excel Connector to work in 64 bit mode….
Hi Everyone!

This is now working for me! I am running Office 2010, 64-bit edition on Windows 10, 64-bit.

thanks again Eric for your hard work.
Interesting happening if you move the XLAM and/or DLL after successfully using them.  Excel opens a second sheet when you open anything, with the following.  How would one uninstall "properly"? Nothing is listed in Addins.

MSFT	CÿÿÿÿÃÌÿÿÿÿ$ €dLÈÿÿÿÿ¼$ÿÿÿÿà8ÿÿÿÿœ ÿÿÿÿ€ÿÿÿÿ”ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿìÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ8ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ<|ÿÿÿÿ¸0ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ%!èÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ4!èHÐÿÿÿÿÐÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿxÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ¨ÿÿÿÿðÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿØÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ`ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀÿÿÿÿ0ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿHÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ#`¸¤vlF�™$T"WÿþÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÚêpeŠ~Ž2§LÎR¤â²FÿÿÿÿYó!„«èAšx6ÑæÒùÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ†[xÁ»¿È2†FÊš}NIdÿÿÿÿ0ÀFÿÿÿÿÀFÿÿÿÿêô×¾–Ò� É¦mÿÿÿÿOeÀcN0¯	
ÕAËJ�		
�U�üTÞ8GœN%Q0+ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿM´¨¼Öª†:Š·4ŸO-¢ÿÿÿÿ?ˆ�(=Ò� É¦mÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿdÿÿÿÿ		
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿx¨Ø`/stdole2.tlbWWW�3mscorlib.tlbWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿHÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿxÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ$4ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿP< ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÔÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿpÿÿÿÿÌÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ\ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ¸ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿˆÿÿÿÿ ˆÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿdÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿìÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ´ÿÿÿÿ8³íSfdcExcellibtst2dÿÿÿÿ88�_SfdcExcellibtst2WWWdÿÿÿÿ¨‰ToStringÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ'pRetValWdÿÿÿÿßBEqualsWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ‘½objWdÿÿÿÿØØGetHashCodeWdÿÿÿÿ)JGetTypeWdÿÿÿÿûGetsforceservicetypedÿÿÿÿ2ZAddBracketsWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿäKvalueWWWdÿÿÿÿÍKloginWWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ$àusrWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿpassÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ™hloginurldÿÿÿÿŠ:logoutWWdÿÿÿÿI¢SfurlWWWdÿÿÿÿ	7°SfBaseurlWWWdÿÿÿÿ	Õ;SessionIDWWWdÿÿÿÿ
×òoauthTokenWWdÿÿÿÿLgbindingWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ:6SonussfdcExcelLib2WW@€@€@€ÿÿÿ 		
@		

€#SonusSfdcExcelLib2.SfdcExcellibtst2WWWISonussfdcExcelLib2, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=nullW0ÿÿÿÿ0ÿÿÿÿÀŒÿÿÿÿð,ÿÿÿÿäD€9L‘DÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿP		
0€A\	D€xP	
$€IL	DP	
$€QT	D(P	
$€YL	D0P	
0€a\	D€ìP	
H€i|	D€€$€4P	
$€qL	DP	
$€�LD	P	
$	€‰D!€ÿÿÿÿ$	
€‘LDP		
$€™D!		
€ÿÿÿÿ$€¡LD		
P		
$		
€©D!€ÿÿÿÿ$€±LDP		
$€¹D!€ÿÿÿÿ$€ÁLD0P		
$ۃDA		

€ÿÿÿÿ```````	`	```
`		
`````<dˆ ´ÔH\\ppˆˆ  ¸¸Dt˜¼àX| Äè0TxœÀ
Eric NortonEric Norton
You should just be able to remove it from the XLSTART directory – when I do that it disappears from the add-ins menu in excel Try searching for .xla or .xlam files on your computer The DLL doesn’t affect anything – it only gets called from the .xlam – and if not called it just sits there
Tunde Adewale 7Tunde Adewale 7
Hi Eric,
Got this working perfectly in Office 2016 64 bit on Windows 10 Pro.
Thank you for the hard work.
Eric NortonEric Norton
For those of you who downloaded and are using the new connect for office, I have made some improvements: option of storing your password (encrypted) so you don’t have to type it in, filters for the long list of import reports – you just need to download the new .xlam file from bit.ly/connectforoffice and place it in your XLSTART directory as before. Eelco: still working on the proxy solution – need some more time but believe it is solveable. You will have to enter proxy username, proxy password, proxy host, and port number (we can store that in registry as well). Stay tuned. As far as the Excel connector goes – I did spend some time on it. It is very buggy for me even in the 32 bit mode. I think our SFDC implementation is just too complicated for it as it barfs violently if I select certain fields in the wizard. I don’t think it is going to be a good use of my time trying to get something that is that buggy moved over to 64 bit – I won’t know if I am causing issues or if those are just inherent issues…
Very frustrating.  Oh well.  I have been monitoring this thread because it was Excel Connector-based.  Darn.  It is a robust tool written ages ago that until 1.5 years ago, I used religiously (changed roles/companies and did not use it until needing to recently, but am not on 64bit and Office 2016).   :-/ 
Marc Paquette 6Marc Paquette 6
Hi Eric, are those files still available on dropbox because I haven't been able to access any of the links you postred on here. Thanks!
Eric NortonEric Norton
Sure – bit.ly/connectforoffice – will point you to the dropbox Select the folder New – 32bit or 64bit
Marc Paquette 6Marc Paquette 6
Wow. Quick reply! Thanks so much. Cheers
Stephanie Jones 11Stephanie Jones 11
I, too, am having difficulties with the Excel Connector add-in; I am getting the OT Wrap compile error all the time, and I did follow the directions for the Sonus version of Office Connect, but since the problem started with Excel Connector, it's not solving my problems.  I'm very new to VBA, so I don't understand half of what it's trying to tell me most of the time!  The add-in does still function, but the constant issues with compile error messages are very annoying.  Any tips?  I use Excel 2016 as part of Office 365 and 64-bit Windows.  Thanks!
Eric NortonEric Norton
Both the Excel Connector and Connect for Office used the same DLL from SFDC to login and establish a session. The DLL is fixed at 32 bit and does not work with 64 bit office. We discussed this in person with SFDC and asked them to update. They said the code is too old and there are easier ways now to accomplish the same thing, and gave us tips on how to accomplish. So we created a new DLL and a new .xlam file – specifically intended for Connect for Office which is what we use – and posted it on bit.ly/connectforoffice for others to use as well. We are still looking at adding support for logging in via a proxy server. I have never used Excel Connector – but I did download it and try it. Even on a 32 bit system I found it extremely buggy. The premise of pushing data back into fields in SFDC just doesn’t work in our environment. We have 100s of fields on the objects, especially the opportunity, and many of those are written by code or workflows. So while in theory someone could use what we have written for Connect for Office and apply it to Excel Connector, I personally take too much pride in what I do to take responsibility for posting code which I know has issues. Plus given our environment, my testing on the bi-directional aspect would be extremely limited. Apologies if you feel I have hijacked this thread to discuss Connect for Office. Eric Norton – ebn1019@gmail.com
Stephanie Jones 11Stephanie Jones 11
Eric, Thanks for taking the time to answer, and that makes a lot of sense. The connector works fairly well for what we do, so I imagine we’ll just keep working around the bugs, which I definitely agree with you about. We do have Connect for Office as well, and are able to leverage that. Regards, Stephanie E. Jones Senior Associate – Acquisitions RiverBanc, a New York Mortgage Trust, Inc. company 227 W. Trade Street, Suite 900 Charlotte, NC 28202 Direct: (980) 201-4103 Cell: (704) 787-2849 Email: sjones@nymtrust.com
Ingo ter MeulenIngo ter Meulen
Hello,
tried to install the new 32/64-Bit version, but when I try to register the sonussfdcexcellib2.dll I get error (the German equivalent of): "sonussfdcexcellib2.dll couldn't get loaded, because it is not a valid .NET-Assembly".

Any idea? Really need my "Excel Connector" back working!

Thanks
Ingo
Eric NortonEric Norton
Hi Ingo

Please make sure you are using the correct version of the .NET framework as described in the instructions on bit.ly/connectforoffice

My guess is you are using a different version - higher or lower - try using a different .NET version exactly or closer to the one in the instructions.

We have about 750 global users now - if you are still having trouble my personal contact details are in the instructions.

Good luck,

Eric
Kelly KKelly K
Hi - just catching up in this thread. I followed the instructions that Eric posted with the updated 64 bit version. Just wanted to be certain, this tool does NOT allow for updates back to the record?
Hi Kelly. This tool does not have functionality that allows you to edit records directly within Salesforce, but we frequently use it in conjuction with Demand Tools to achieve that effect. 
Kelly KKelly K
Thanks for confirming. I had my IT admins bump me back to office 32-bit version. I no longer have access to demand tools due to license costs (another admin has it) and I don't see a point in paying for a tool you can get for free. I've used the excel connector since 2011 and this is like the bread and butter for every day small-scale updates. I hope SFDC does take the excel connector under its wing and bring it up to current standards, it's an excellent free tool.
RAJAN SHINDERAJAN SHINDE
has anyone tried to use excel connectory and able to exchange data between excel and salesforce?
Tony ShouseTony Shouse
@Rajan - yes.  I have been able to download and upload.  I'm speculating a bit as your description of your situation is very thin.  When logging in, use the password + security_token in the password field.  There is no change to your user name.
RAJAN SHINDERAJAN SHINDE
Thank you Tony. I have used "password + Security token" and getting below error.
error description :- Please check your username and password. If you still can't log in, contact your Salesforce administrator.
now I just tried entering password and getting below error message.
error description :- The service returned an invalid token. Please contact your IT administrator if this issue persists.

Please note that I added add-in "sforce_connect_64bit" from below link
https://code.google.com/archive/p/excel-connector/downloads

then I'm trying to connect salesforce using below option from Excel.
Data--> new query ---> From other sources --> Salesforce objects.

Please let me know if this right way to connect excel from salesforce. My requirement is to connect excel with salesforce object and then I need to do some manupulation on the user record (part of user provisioning) in an excel using VB macro and then from excel (again VB macro) I need to upload data to salesforce user object.

Tony ShouseTony Shouse
To use the connector, access it from Add-ins not Data.  
Tony ShouseTony Shouse
Access the connector via Add-in menu not a Data Query
Hey All,
After about a year of this working, it's now giving an error message when I attempt to log in. See attached. User-added image
Kelly KKelly K
Daniel, this is related to the TLS 1.0 encryption that salesforce is working on shutting down. We had a good thread of conversations here: https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/ForumsMain?id=906F00000009ClI

The gist of the solution, change the login url from https://www.salesforce.com/services/Soap/c/13.0 to https://login.salesforce.com/services/Soap/c/13.0.

Success! Thanks Kelly!
pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
Hi, 
I have downloaded "connect for office" from SFDC and try to install it. Got the error saying that it is supported below office version 2009 or below.
I installed older verstion of office and installed. later upgraded office to latest version office 365.
As mentioned in many threads copied the plug in files under C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel. (both STARTUP folder containing and XLSTART folders)
 it was working perfectly till last week.
Not sure what changed now when I try to login getting below error. can someone help to get rid of this.

SFDC login error
You might be having the same issue that I did earlier this week. Take a look at Kelly K's response above:

"The gist of the solution, change the login url from https://www.salesforce.com/services/Soap/c/13.0 to https://login.salesforce.com/services/Soap/c/13.0."
pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
can you please let me know how to configure the URL, is it on excel?
pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
Appreciate if someone can help on this issue, very diffcult not having this tool in working condition.
Dont know why SFDC consider publishing this tool again.

pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
I am just using connect for office just to pull SFDC report data and use for analysis, not sure whether the above solutions holds good for this case too also I am not sure where to set the URL even.

On the tool bar:
Add-ins --> SFDC --> Log in to SFDC

You should get a window like the image below:
User-added image
Make sure the url string for the server appears as above, beginning with "login.salesforce.com...." NOT "www.salesforce.com"
pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
User-added image

I do not get option to enter URL, something to configure?
Hmm. I don't know! Hopefully the developer can weigh in on this.
Tony ShouseTony Shouse
Are there two different add-ins being conflated in this chain? The original question related to the *Force.com Connector* that displays in the Excel Add-ins menu. When logging into this add-in there are three inputs: i) username ii) password and iii) server URL. Recently there was a background change that requires the Server URL to change from https://www.salesforce.com/services/Soap/c/13.0 to https://*login*. salesforce.com/services/Soap/c/13.0 A simple swap of login for www. This add-in seems to work after login with the new URL The current question might relate to another COM add-in from *SalesForce.com Tools*. It is displayed in Excel in its own menu in the ribbon. The login option for this add-in has only two options: i) username and ii) password -- no third option to change the URL. I noticed that this tool stopped working when attempting to use it on May 2, 2018 -- it had worked in early April. I assumed based on no research or digging that the TLS change broke this tool and have not researched how to get it to work. ᐧ
Ingo ter MeulenIngo ter Meulen
And this COM add-in from *SalesForce.com Tools" (aka "sforce Connector") is exaclty what I would need back urgently. And I can confirm, that with the TLS change it stopped working. Haven't found anybody yet, that got it running again. I wish SF (or in my case FF) would take this over, as it is much better than the strange Data Loader.
pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
Counting on someone to rescue from this....
Hi Pradeepa and Ingo,
If you look back earlier in this thread, a developer on here built a solution:

Visit: bit.ly/connectforoffice – will point you to the dropbox
Select the folder: New – 32bit or 64bit
Follow the instructions.

pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
Thanks Daniel for the response.
I followed the steps as mentioned, the main problem I am facing is that I am not get the URL on login window. Attaching the snippets of my
changes and version  I have.  I tried to log in through the Add_ins, only. Am I missing something?

User-added image
User-added imageUser-added imageUser-added image
User-added image
pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
Thanks  a lot,solution provided by  bit.ly/connectforoffice works fine.

In my case existing com-add ins causing the problem, I deleted all the files from STARTUP and XLSTART folders and placed only the Sonus file provided in the link bit.ly/connectforoffice and register. 
Lee LimLee Lim
I am recieving the same  response as Ingo, when attempting to register the file ..

RegAsm : error RA0000 : Failed to load 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SonussfdcExcelLib2.dll' because it is not a valid .NET assembly

Thank you for any assistance
Yurij SafronovYurij Safronov
Hello All!
I also hae the problem with connection..
User-added image
Does anybody know what to do(/or maybe other ways of connection to salesforce via Excel) ?
Thank you in advance.
BR Yurij
pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
@Daniel Schleifer
I am not able to see the Add-Ins in Excel. Followed all the instruction mentioned in bit.ly/connectforoffice.
I see the files are in correct directories as you mentioned in the document.

Was it workin at some point in the past but has now stopped?
pradeepa jgpradeepa jg
@ Daniel Schleifer
Yes..It was working since two days back, some windows upadate happened in between. after that some VBA error was coming. Hence I downloaded the SonussfdcExcelLib2.dll and registered. Now there is no error but Add-ins not appearing. I am having the Sonus SDFC addin.xlam under \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART folder too.
Hmm.. this really goes beyond my expertise. The only thoughts I have are as follows:
-Try playing with the settings in the Developer Tab under "add-ins" and "com Add-ins"
-similarly, go to excel options and play with settings under "add-ins" and "trust center"

Perhaps @Eric Norton who developed the plug-in could help if you shared some screen shots wth him.
MinGyoon WooMinGyoon Woo

If someone have a interesting...
https://github.com/good-ghost/ForceConnector
It is a VSTO Excel Addin, I tried to ported Excel Connector.

It has also features for Custom Label create and translate.

OC-RRCOC-RRC
MinGyoon - I am interested. Is it fully functional? Will it work on Excel 365?
Robert WhiskerRobert Whisker
This is totally out of my area of expertise. The only suggestions I have are as follows:
Experiment with the settings under "add-ins" and "com Add-ins" in the Developer Tab.

in the same way, open Excel Options just like we do in cheap weed (https://www.leaf2go.co/) app and fiddle with the settings under "add-ins" and "trust center"