function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SkiesnPiesSkiesnPies 

New Lightening UI Browser Frustrations

Struggling a bit with the new Lightning UI and a few short comings. 

Wondered if anyone had found any work arounds ? 

By far the biggest issue I have is clicking links and not being able to open them in a new browser tab. As standard when working, I am forever holding Cmd down (probably ALT on windows) to open a document in a new tab of my browser. I often want to open several documents or settings all in different tabs (for a million different reasons). Since everything moved to JS, there are no <A> tags on the page, only JS events, so you don't get the option when right clicking on links to open in a new tab (or if you do, it tries to open a javascript statement and fails), its all now behaving like a single page application, but one that is worse than the prior classic UI. 

Does anyone else know a way around this? 

Other minor frustrations -
1)  there doesn't seem to be an icon to refresh views - you have to re-load the whole page (slow). 
2) Breadcrumbs are largely absent - so its not easy to go back to the last place you were. 
3) Its extra clicks to open tabs (I can't believe they didn't make the home navigator customisable from day 1). 

I am sure they will get there with the new UI and I am sure it will be great when they do, but feeling as though I might advise my clients to "hang on a bit" before switching. 
William TranWilliam Tran
There are many limitations right now with lightning:see below so unless your users are willing to live with the growing pains, I would suggest waiting until it is more robust.

http://releasenotes.docs.salesforce.com/en-us/winter16/release-notes/lex_gaps_limitations_productivity.htm

I suggest rolling out lightning to frontline folks (folks on the field who uses mobile alot) since lightning and mobile are virtually the same look and feel.  I don't suggest rolling out lightning for support or data entry folks since lightning is fairly limited today and not ideal for data entry.

That said, in Chrome, I can create new tabs without issue either right mouse click or Control Click.

Thx.
SkiesnPiesSkiesnPies
Thanks William, those gaps are good to know. 

The right click or right mouse click only works where an HTML <A> tag has been used, but on accounts / contacts, click "new" or click anything in the left hand setup menu and it ignores the right click or new tab option (in Chrome too). I fear this will only increase as JS is used more and more. 

Just wondered if anyone knew of a workaround for this? I guess it has now become a browser deficiency, now that JS is dominating UI behaviour rather than HTML. 

J