function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sonia GenesseSonia Genesse 

Accessing LDAP (not looking for SSO) via a Custom field

I'd like to create a couple of fields that will query our LDAP server for a list of user names, I'm just looking to pull in the persons name and populate the custom fields.

Can this be accomplished without SSO or SAML?

Could an External  Obeject/External Data Souirce be used without the need for Lighting Connect (30k).

This is a simple need in theory, but of high value to our proejct.I'm not looking to add any additional cost to accomplish this task.

Any thoughts? Has anyone implemented this this successfully?

Many thanks!
Sonia 
Best Answer chosen by Sonia Genesse
No, just trying to find a solutiion to access LDAP w/o SSO (SAML) and perform a lookup from a custom field within an Object that will read LDAP user names.

I think that I may just download a .CSV file from LDAP and create a Custom Object and create a lookup to the custom fields I need.

The downside to this solution, is stale data. We would need to upsert a new .CSV file on a regular basis.

Below are a few other solutions I've looked into, but most have a heavy pricetag, and the request is very small to justify them.

Option 1 -   Identity Connect/Chatter license: $

Option 2 -  Dell Boomi Connector - http://help.boomi.com/atomsphere/GUID-CD070E31-0B9A-49A4-B41C-028E3C703B68.html?pageVersion=3                   
Option 3 - Developer "real time call out"
                                * Via REST/SOAP API
Option 4 - CSV file dump

Option 5  - CData’s Lighting Connect driver 

Thanks!
Sonia

All Answers

Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
Are you trying to have Salesforce perform a callout to your LDAP server or are you trying to have the LDAP server consume the Salesforce API?
No, just trying to find a solutiion to access LDAP w/o SSO (SAML) and perform a lookup from a custom field within an Object that will read LDAP user names.

I think that I may just download a .CSV file from LDAP and create a Custom Object and create a lookup to the custom fields I need.

The downside to this solution, is stale data. We would need to upsert a new .CSV file on a regular basis.

Below are a few other solutions I've looked into, but most have a heavy pricetag, and the request is very small to justify them.

Option 1 -   Identity Connect/Chatter license: $

Option 2 -  Dell Boomi Connector - http://help.boomi.com/atomsphere/GUID-CD070E31-0B9A-49A4-B41C-028E3C703B68.html?pageVersion=3                   
Option 3 - Developer "real time call out"
                                * Via REST/SOAP API
Option 4 - CSV file dump

Option 5  - CData’s Lighting Connect driver 

Thanks!
Sonia
This was selected as the best answer