function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BrianBrian 

Question about exporting PriceBooks

Let me start by saying that i am not a developer, but i'm trying to help our team figure out something.  Basically, we'd like to roll out Price Books to our sales team, but we want to be able to export the product/price sheet into something like Excel or Word so that our reps can use the information in a proposal, RFP, etc.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this, or who we could hire to provide this type of functionality?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

thetazzbotthetazzbot

Brian,

There are a few possibilities here, however, the biggest test is whether your company would pay for it to be developed specifically for you, or would your company pay a monthly service fee for a hosted option. 

Regards,

Mark Williamson
Simplified Sales
Division of Clear Choice, LLC

BrianBrian

at this point i think we are open to both options.  I'd like to understand more about how each option would be priced, and the timeline for each.  can you please elaborate?

thanks,

Brian

thetazzbotthetazzbot

Email me your contact info and I will call you..

thetazzbot@yahoo.com

Regards,
Mark Williamson
Simplified Sales
A Division of Clear Choice, LLC

thetazzbotthetazzbot

The basic factors affecting price, and capabilities are:

What type of SalesForce.com account does your company have?  Basic? Enterprise?
How many products and how complex are your products?
How many sales people?
Do you have stock documents in Excel or Word that you'd like to convert to quote templates?
Basically, what you are referring to is a custom quoting engine with the ability to process, store, retrieve proposals or "quotes".  These proposals could (should) then be faxed or emailed from the quoting engine so that history records are maintained.  An effective integration with Salesforce.com would be preferable depending on your companies service level with salesforce.com (Limitations exist on the basic version which may prohibit a high degree of integration with an application like this)

Regards,
Mark

dukeduke

Hello Brian,

Importing and Export entities to and from salesforce.com via the XML-RPC api is a fairly straight-forward proposition.  I have done this sort of thing extensively for VIPMail.  VIPMail is a software bridge between Outlook and sfdc.  Your can read about VIPMail here www.sforce.com (Developer of the Month) and here www.widgety.com.

I'd be glad to help you with this.  The sfdc XML-RPC API is great to work with.  As such, apps can be generated quite quickly.

regards,

James Harvey

duke@widgety.com

OllieCOllieC

James,

How does VIPMail differ from the Outlook integration that SF itself is working on? They appear to be aiming at providing the same functionality. Also, does VIPMail require the Enterprise edition of SF to fuction?

Ollie

dukeduke

Hi Ollie,

My understanding of the new Outlook Edition for salesforce.com is that it addresses, quite adeptly, some of the most fundamental points of integration:  Exporting messages you send to sfdc.  Exporting messages you receive to sfdc.  Binding these exported messages (i,e., activities) to contacts, leads, opportunities and cases.  Searching for sfdc contacts and leads when addressing outbound email.  The recent announcement contains a very complete enumeration of these features.

VIPMail does all of the above (except searching for recipients).  But it also does much more.  It supports attachment uploading.  It supports general import and export operations, which applies to email messages, contacts, leads, tasks and calendar events.  You can easily copy these items/entities between Outlook and salesforce.com.  It also supports synchronization, so you can keep these respective copies consistent.  It also provides three modes of email tracking including VIP lists.  There are 3 forms of tracking receipts, which includes HTML receipts, email receipts and Outlook Journal entries.  You may also launch your browser from any exported Outlook item to it's corrseponding sfdc entities directly.  This makes Outlook a very convenient means of initiating sfdc transactions.  You may also create cases directly from received email messages. 

VIPMail is in beta right now.  Even though VIPMail will be shipping very very soon, the beta program is still open.  Would you like to beta test the product?  There's no obligation (and no pressure ).

Regards,

Duke

duke@widgety.com