function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ahsensahsens 

How to add lookup on Standard objects

How can we add a lookup on standard objects. For example how can i add an account lookup on Lead.
/

SuperfellSuperfell
Goto setup for the standard object and add a new lookup cutom field, although i think this can't be a lookup to another standard object, only custom objects + user.
jimjamzjimjamz
What happens when you would like to also display other fields from the standard object?

What is required to also bring back fields from the standard object so that you dont need to
create lookups for each field.

ie. If you connect it back to the Accounts module, how can you also pull the Account Name, Account Owner, Account Status & Type
all in one go rather than 4 seperate look ups.

The reasoning behind this is basically user friendlyness for the enduser. ie. Contracts module is linked to both account & opportunity
i'd like to bring back some opportunity and account information so that contracts admin can see all the necessary information in one screen
rather than switch back and forward between screens.

cheers

JT
TonkaCruiserTonkaCruiser

ahsens,

There isn't any way to create a lookup between two standard objects.  This is something that Salesforce is working on and I'm hoping it will be available in the '07 release but not sure.

jimjamz,

What I think you are looking for isn’t possible.  When you create a lookup relationship it will only bring the main field of that object.  It will either be the Name or the Auto-number field that you setup when creating the custom object.  If it is a standard object you are looking up then it will only show a field like the Account Name.  If you are looking to bring fields over from that object you are looking up then you are limited to those fields.

If you want to create an object from the related list on an object, the other end of the lookup field, then you can use a custom link and populate fields.  I have placed the instructions below for creating them.  Using this will bring over a copy of the original field and not a link to the original field.  If you change the original field the field in the child object will not update automatically.

Hope this helps, Chris

A Custom Link is a hyperlink on a record in Salesforce that, when clicked, will open up a different web page. You can use a Custom Links in Salesforce to trigger the creation of a new Salesforce record from within an existing record. By customizing your Custom Links you can pre-populate the newly created record with information from the existing record.

To create a Custom Link:

1. Create a new record by clicking the "New" when you are in the new record’s tab.

2. Copy the URL from the address bar when in the edit screen, it should end in “retURL=%2F001%2Fo”

3.Click on:

Setup | App Setup | Customize.

4. Click on the type of record on which you want the link to be displayed.

5. Click on "Custom Links". Click on "New".

6. Type in your Link Label and click "Next".

7. Paste the copied URL into the Link URL field.

You can now begin customizing your URL to propagate fields on your new record with the values on your existing record.

8. At the end of your URL type in an ampersand (the & symbol) followed by the name of the standard field you want to propagate.

Message Edited by TonkaCruiser on 11-06-2006 12:01 AM

Chirag MehtaChirag Mehta
I want to create a lookup of Account in Opportunity.

Accord to requirements i need to have 2 accounts to be referred in Opportunity

1.Mfg Account
2.Design Account

For one i can use the existing account look up in Opportunity ,but for another i need to have one more look up to Account and Opty doesnt allows me to create a Account Lookup

Did u got any alternative to do so ...
SADSAD
Good morning - were you able to get this to work? becuase i have the exact requirement - but I dont follow the example too well.  When i try to create the s-control, I get a message that says the field name does not exist - but when I try to create the field on the opportunity i think I am suppose to make this a formula field. Can you help explain this a bit more. 
Chirag MehtaChirag Mehta
Can u more clear on wht  u want