function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kpetersonkpeterson 

Multiple Workflow Rules Updating Same Field

I have one assignment with multiple checkboxes.  I also have multiple workflow rules for the assignment that detect different checkbox combinations.  When one of the workflow rules detect their checkbox combination they update 2 hidden fields on the assignment which triggers apex to create a new assignment based on the values set in the 2 hidden fields.

My issue is when 2 of the workflow rules are evaluated true they both try to update the 2 hidden fields but only one of them wins.  I was hoping that each workflow's field update caused a separate update but it seems that all field updates are pooled together and then done at once.  Is there a way to manage workflow rules competing to update the same field?  I'd like it if each field update triggered a separate update event so that they both could get their next assignment created.

Any ideas?
kpetersonkpeterson
Just as an update in case anyone ever has this issue.

I ended up having the workflow append their values to the 2 hidden fields.  You can reference the same field that you are updating and just append values to make a comma delimited list.  That way if multiple workflow rules fire and update the same fields I'll still get all of the information.

It's not super pretty but it's the only way we could think of to get our approach to work the way we needed it to.
RickyGRickyG
Thanks for posting the clever workaround. Your actions help the community learn - a great thing!