function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Venk_ModelMetriVenk_ModelMetri 

Customizing the Opportunity screen in SalesForce

Hello Folks,

Our customer wants about 10-12 custom fields in Opportunity. In addition to that they want a way to sum up all these fields (text box) and store it in another field (total amount field) (text box) and save it to Sales Force. Since the page https://na1.salesforce.com/006/e?retURL=%2F006%2Fo is developed by sales force, we have no way to add client side javascript to sum all these custom fields(in text boxes) and populate it to the total amount field(text box).

Any work arounds? Another proposed work around is the use of web integration link where we can create an HTML file that has client side JavaScript to read the fields in the parent window (SalesForce.com new opportunity page) and sum it up to populate the total amount field in the parent window. But we found that the web integration links can be accessed only after the "save" button is clicked to save the opportunity. At this time, the form fields (Custom fields as text boxes) are already submitted to salesforce and not accessible by my child web integration link.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks

Venk

Vdakshin@modelmetrics.com

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi Venik_ModelMetric,

This is an interesting issue.  I don't have any good method for this right at the moment, but I think the answer might involve an sforce control that can tally the fields and refresh the screen.  This of course would need to happen after the record was saved though.

Dave. Thank You. Can you please point me to this control. I'm not sure how to use this.

Thank You

Venk

Dave,

Also one more clarification. Is there a way to increase the size of the label when you try to add a new custom field in the opportunity page. This is what I did... I created a new custom field and used <a href="www.yahoo.com">calc</a> in the label. I am getting the HTML link to appear. but it points to some place like na1.salesforce.com/006/www.yahoo.com....   We may not use this as the solution as this is not a very robust method. Just trying to get it work will be a good start:-)

Thanks

Venk

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi Venk,

You would need to create this control using javascript and msxml.  sforce controls can be created from the sforce Application Server section in setup.  You would need to write an html page that contained some javascript that did the update and then redirected back to the calling page.  You can use msxml from javascript to do the web services call.  Check out the sforce control section in setup to get familiar with it.

Hi Dave,

Thank you.  Within the Sforce Application Server Area, I only see these options

Sforce Custom Objects
Sforce WSDL Generator

I dont see an option for Sforce controls. What am I doing wrong?

Also can this Html that I create open in new window?

Please let me know if this is possible.

The user views the new opportunity page, we can embed a sforce control that has HTML code to read the information (in the Text Box input fields) from the parent page (the new opportunity page). Is this possible?

Thanks for your help

Venk

GrahamGraham
I'm guessing you just need to use http:// so that it knows the link is external.