function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
shunshun 

Shouldn't Field have the isSelectable method in the 2.5 Partner API?

Hi,

I noticed that the documentation for the Field object has a boolean field named "selectable" but the partner wsdl file does not define this as a field.

Shun

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi Shun,

The selectable attribute is obtain via the describe call.  The describe call is not dependent on partner or enterprise wsdl.  The results of the describe call are the same for either API.  The wsdl allows only a small amount of metadata for the actual fields on an object, hence the describe call.  The partner wsdl defines a single object, SObject, and since this is a "virtual" object it can't have specific field attributes in it any way.

shunshun

Hi Dave,

So does that mean that using the Partner API, it's not possible to find out from the meta data whether a field is selectable or not?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I'm new to using the 2.5 API.

Shun

shunshun

Shouldn't each "instance" of the Field meta data have the selectable attribute to tell whether you can select a field or not?  Otherwise, how do we determine what fields are selectable from the meta data?

Since our application works across multiple users in multiple organizations, we need to use the partner API and we also need to know which fields are selectable because I assume selectable fields differ for each user.

Is this selectable feature going to be in the 3.0 Partner API?

Shun

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi shun et al.,

I believe that if you can see the field via the describe call, it is by default selectable.  The documentation has not kept pace with the API in this case.

shunshun

Dave,

Actually I know that for some fields that is not true.  I know that with the user I am using, I "see" the fields UserPermissionsOfflineUser and UserPermissionsMarketingUser in my User entity, but trying to put them in my select statement fails because these fields are not selectable.

Shun

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi Shun,

Actually, the permissions fields have a bug (fixed in upcoming release) that prevent them from being selected.

shunshun
Thanks Dave.