function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Den1Den1 

self service user and sso

I need to create a large group of self-service users and set their passwords to the same value

I don't want them to receive the auto email from salesforce.com but want to notify them myself of their username and password.

I know setPassword can do it but don't know how to invoke it - I usually make all my changes via Demand Tools.

I'm not a web developer and need step-by-step instructions so I can pass on the details to the webmaster.

thanks in advance,

Larry RobinsonLarry Robinson
There is no way I know to do what you want to do.  We don't allow you to set the password to any value and then send that out to the users.  That would be a potential security hole.  We do have APIs that allow you to create SSP users and a SetPassword API to reset passwords.   These all use the standard functionality that will send the new password email from Salesforce.com to the user.  
Larry RobinsonLarry Robinson

I'm sorry, the SetPassword call does let you set the password to a specific value.  I don't like that, because its a security issue as far as I'm concerned.  

See the online API doc http://www.sforce.com/us/docs/sforce70/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm.

You will still need to write some code to do this. 

Den1Den1

1. Looks like we can use Java to create the selfservice user and that doesn't send out the email notification

2. then get the ids of the selfserviceusers created

3. then setPassword for each id to whatever we want

is that correct?