function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KenEKenE 

Attachment custom object that relates to all other SF objects

I was looking for a way to create a single custom object (in this case a custom attachment object) that can be linked to any of the other Salesforce objects and show up as a related list under each of them. I do not want to create an ID for each other object in  the custom object, rather I want to link to all via a parent ID field. Is this possible, and if so ... how? If not, what is the best way to address this need?

Thanks.
sfdcfoxsfdcfox
Attachments can be added to every object in the system (except activities). Simply add the Notes and Attachments related list to the page layout of the object, and you can attach files to the record. Without more information, I can only assume that this functionality should be what you're looking for.

~ sfdcfox ~
SDSFuserSDSFuser
How would you create this if you wanted to relate it to cases. 
KenEKenE
Sorry, I was not clear in the original meeage. I know the standard attachment object can be applied to any other object. What I want to do is create a custom object that simulates this functinality while using custom links to refer to an attached file on another system. This is to get around the space and size issues in Salesforce.

Thanks.