function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JFraumeniJFraumeni 

Finding Field-Level Security in the SOAP 2.5 API

I'm probably missing something, but I was wondering if there was a way through the SOAP 2.5 API of finding what fields/objects the logged in user had permission to view and/or change. There are a number of fields in different records with "Permissions" in their name, but even when I'm logged in as the master administrator, I am not allowed to retrieve those.

Thanks muchly.
James Fraumeni
james.fraumeni@activeprime.com
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi JFraumeni,

Check out the documentation about using the describe call.

JFraumeniJFraumeni
Gross omission in my research, thank you.
JFraumeniJFraumeni
Actually, I remember why I looked over that one. I assume you mean the updateable, createable, and selecteable returns for each field in describeSOBject. I had assumed that those reflected those fields' global settings (i.e. you can never specify fields like Last Updated By,) but what I am looking for is the permissions for the currently logged-in user. Is that what those returns give me? I am garunteed to be able to do what those returns say I can if I am logged in as the same person who made the describeSObject call? The documentation isn't specific about this . . .

Thanks muchly.

James Fraumeni
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi JFraumeni,

Yup, the describe call returns information in the context of the logged in user.  IE, it is different for each different profile you may have defined.

Cheers

JFraumeniJFraumeni
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much again.

James Fraumeni