function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jeselonjeselon 

Using the sForce Web Service to add to the Activity History

Is is possible to add my own entry into the 'Activity History' list sections via the sForce Web Service API?  What sForce object would I use, if this is possible?

Also, is there such a thing as a 'generic' sForce object?

Thanks.

ScotScot

Partial answer:

Activity History displays closed tasks. If you add a task with a status which is defined as "Closed", it will show up in the Activity History.

By default, the status of "Completed" is defined as closed, but your administrator can define other status's which are closed, or even change that one. 

BL AdminBL Admin

I was wondering if you were able to go through the web services to import activity history into Salesforce.com?  If so, how difficult was it and how much time did it take?  Do you have a process that is replicable?

Thanks

ScotScot

Yes, I was able to import tasks using a test version of the Excel plug-in. Because the plug-in provides a generic facility driven by spread-sheet cells, it was pretty easy to do (10 minutes for a test case). Unfortunately that facility is not is not generally available yet.

You should be able to use the XML-RPC version of the Excel plug-in, which IS available. I haven't tried tasks with it, but I don't think they changed radically with the last sf.com release, and are likely ok.

See a thread in the Data Junction forum "Uploading Opportunities", or
http://forums.sforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=DataJunction&message.id=130&highlight=#M130
for information on it.

The alternative would be building code in C, Java, etc. to call the API. You'd have to get timing/difficulty information about this from others - it's not my forte.