function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ghgh 

Session expiration

The documentation states the following:

"Client applications do not need to explicitly log out to end the session. Sessions expire automatically after a period of inactivity, which can be configured (in the Setup section in the salesforce.com user interface) for your organization to be 30, 60, or 120 minute intervals. If you have a client application that periodically polls the sforce Web service at an interval longer than the configured time-out, then that application should log in each time to obtain a new session. "

I'm trying to find where under Setup this is configured. Under Administration Setup/Security Controls/Session Settings I can change the "session timeout" up to 4 hours. Does this affect the sForce Session ID expiration or does this only apply to salesforce.com UI sessions? I'm confused because the setting values are 30 min, 1 hour, 2 hours and 4 hours and the documentation says "30, 60, or 120 minute intervals", which leads me to believe I'm in the wrong place and the sForce sessions are configured elsewhere. Please advise. Thanks.

adamgadamg
Looks like an error in the doc - I'll file a bug on that one for you.
ghgh

So, if I set my my session timeout Under Administration Setup/Security Controls/Session Settings to 4 hours this means my sForce session id will be valid for 4 hours?

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi gh,

No, an api obtained session id is good for 2 hours, after which you will get an invalid session id fault.

FradlisFradlis
How can the 2 hour session expiration limit be changed?

Igor
DevAngelDevAngel

The 2 hour limit cannot be changed currently.

emannersemanners

Is this a configurable value, or is this fixed for API type access? Is it that the timeout in the administration settings only apply to Web Access (non-api acces)?

SuperfellSuperfell
For clients using the 5.0 endpoint version, the timeout specified in the application applies to the API as well, for api versions before 5.0, the fixed 2 hour limit applies.

This is detailed in the 5.0 release notes
http://www.sforce.com/resources/tn-13.jsp

Message Edited by SimonF on 05-17-2005 08:38 AM

NicolasBNicolasB
Is it possible to programatically retrive the value of the session time out from the API?

I want to retrive that value and renew my connection automatically just before the delay expires.

Thank you
nbordeleau@coveo.com