function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PALPAL 

Custom Report Help

I currently create custom reports as follows:

1. Use sforce connector in Excel to automatically get data from sforce.

2. Use Access to run Excel (Automation), get the data into access, do the join and create custom reports.

(VBA code is below)

This works fine, but requires distribution of Access programs and downloading data...which can be slow.

Questions:
What are the options for creating complex reports directly in sforce?

Are there high level tools or does each report need to be programmed in ??

For example, I need a crosstab report with more thant the two row headings allowed in report customization.

Thanks for your ideas.

VBA code in Excel:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim ws As Worksheet
For Each ws In Application.Worksheets
ws.Activate
Call sfqueryall(True)'found in previous connectors
Next ws
End Sub

VBA Code in Access:

Private Sub Update_Click()
Set xlApp = CreateObject ('Excel.Application')
With xlApp
.Visible = True
.Workbooks.Open 'C:\sforcedata'
.ActiveWorkbook.Save
.Quit
End With
Set xlApp = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, 'Accounts'
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, 'Accounts','C:\sforcedata',True, 'Accounts'
DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, 'Opps'
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, 'C:\sforcedata',True, 'Opps'
End Sub
Gareth DaviesGareth Davies
Hi there - seems like you have a really good grasp of VBA. How are you with .NET?  It's only a few steps from where you are to going direct to the API and doing whatever you need...

G.
bkmmspbkmmsp
Why not use the Appexchange product Crystal Reports?  It provides for the functionality you are looking for I think and is very cost effective...
PALPAL
No experience with .Net programming.

Do .net based programs run in the sforce environment and on the sforce servers?

Is there model VB.net code available for doing custom reports?

Thanks for your ideas.

PAL
PALPAL
I understand that the Crystal solution downloads data to the pc client and this is a slow process (AppExchange reviews.)

I would like a solution that appears on an sforce tab and runs without downloading the data to the pc. (I can already download the data through the Excel/Access solution)

Thanks for your ideas.

PAL
Again AgainAgain Again

What if you used something like DBAmp to replicate the objects to report from to a SQL database, and run your reports against this? We do this (not for reporting, but to have the data available in other apps), and now have it refreshing every few minutes. Since not so much data changes from minute to minute, once the original refreshes are done, only a little data is pulled to your local SQL copies at a time.

You can then use SQLreporting or Excel docs hooked to your SQL data sources, and you wouldn't feel the delay of "pulling the data" before you can run the report.