function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
honedoghonedog 

Email to Case creating new cases instead of appending emails to existing cases

I just setup email to case and can open cases just fine.  I have an auto-resposne rule that notifies the contact of their case ID.  The problem is that when I send a reply email with the case ID in the subject line of the email the Email to Case app is creating a new case instead of attaching to an existing case.  Does anyone know what the algorithm is for associating an email to a case?  SF.com support was confused and had me try a bunch of additional fields in the subject and body of the email (Case Number, Case ID, Reference ID) but nothing seems to work.  Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,

Mark
benjasikbenjasik
It's not the case id, there's another unique identifier that you can merge in.     
honedoghonedog
Thanks for the feedback ben.  Do you know if this is documented anywhere?  I looked through all the docs that i could find but finally just found the email reference ID by trial and error.  Any idea why this works different than other CRM systems, is it a multi-tennancy thing?  The problem with requiring a reference ID is that some users will initiate new emails and just cut and past the case ID into the subject line of the email from memory or another email message. 
MutleyMutley
Email2Case filters on the case ID thread {!Case_Thread_Id}

So long as it is in the subject line or body, it will get appended to the right case.

Hope that helps
lopezclopezc
Hi,

I have another problem with email to case, probably you have an idea...
I am sending the case id in the body of the email, it is working fine because the reply from the customer is attached to the respective case instead of inserting a new one. However I would like to create a new one if the case is closed! Which code should I change to do this? I had a look to the GenericClient.java  but I don't know how this code works.. In which point are we creating or updating a case?

Any help will be very useful,

Thanks!

bingobingo

Did you ever solve the issue about creating a new case - if case closed - instead of email being added to existing...? Care to share, please...!

Tahir Sheikh 18Tahir Sheikh 18
Following... anyone have any suggestions on how to create a new case when someone replies to an existing email thread containing the old case reference number?