function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
LarryHLarryH 

Hiding Account Record Types based on user roles

Hi,

I'm a new sysAdmin for salesforce.com and also the trainer on this and many other internal tools. Recently, my organization has been going through a major de-duplication of accounts. This is mainly our fault, due to the fast growth of this company, but none-the-less it has been no easy task. Currently, we use many in-house tools that integrate with salesforce.com on a nightly basis.

As part of our de-duplication process, I have been working to figure out a way to hide accounts from sales user roles when the account record type is changed to out of business or dead account. I'm a little lost and working with all the resources I have in this regard.

Ideally, we'd like our sales people to only see 3 types of Account Record Types in their personal lead lists. These types are Account - customer, Account - prospect, and Account - former customer. These are custom ART's that work best with our business.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could achieve this? I am open to exploring every option that is available. Thanks!
-Larry 
PerGeertPerGeert

Hi Larry,
Depending on your Account sharing rule settings a solution might be at the same time you change the account's record type, to change the account's owner to a user, who's accounts are not visible to the sales people.
- Per

LarryHLarryH
 Thanks for the suggestion but it really wouldn't work in our organization. The sales person must own the account. We share markets with newspapers and sales reps rely on my team to keep these accounts straightened out. Selling a deal to an out of territory or newspaper market would have serious consequences.

Salesforce isn't our all seeing eye either. It is simply used in sales. Order entry and account maintenance uses entirely different tools. In essence, there are 4 in house CRM tools being used. Salesforce has to sync with an internal tool that contains the master list of our accounts (all 35k of them) based on an internal ID number. We will load accounts into this tool and if there is a shell account with the same number in salesforce, the integration between these two systems will populate the remaining information needed for the account.

If we were smaller, i'd love to scrap everything and start over, but history is very important. On top of that, salesforce has been in use for some time here, and what seems to be the best solution for how we work is to hide certain types of record types to the sales users in salesforce. However, they have the ability to create accounts as well.

in an ideal world, i'd like them to be able to update their lead list by selecting one of two options, but with choosing these options these leads would become invisible to the sales person, but not the sales operations and marketing teams.