function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
4SightDS4SightDS 

Could Someone Please Point me to a Table/Filed Reference?

I'm lookning for a list of Tables, fields, data types and lengths. I have searched high and low with no luck. I hav downloaded the getting started guid, the programmers reference, etc and found no reference to this in any of them.

Could some kind soul here please point me in the right direction?

I found a schma but it only lists the keyfields and the links...

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
SuperfellSuperfell
There's ERD and descriptions of important standard fields in the API docs. For a detailed description of all entities and fields, you'll want to use one of the schema explorer tools (SoqlXplorer, ApexExplorer, the schema tool in the eclipse plugin etc), or build something yourself that uses the describeSObject call).
4SightDS4SightDS
So, your telling me that with all this activity around Salesforce they don't even bother to publish a list of tables with fileds, types and lengths?

What gives there?

Thanks for the info.

Daniel
Benjamin_PirihBenjamin_Pirih
Check out the apex explorer.. search sf.com site for this. it will give you all the info you need..

you need a dev account to view this page

Message Edited by Benjamin_Pirih on 03-20-2008 09:02 AM
Michael.WatkinsMichael.Watkins
does this help?

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/Content/data_model.htm

you may also want to browse the DescribeObject method or use the apex explorer tool.

regards
4SightDS4SightDS
Benjamin,

Thanks, this looks like a stand alone version of the Schema Explorer in Eclipse with the Force.com IDE installed.

I appreciate the link.

Daniel
4SightDS4SightDS

Michael,

Thanks for your input. I have actually seen this and it is great for it maps out the table relations. Unfortunately it only lists key fields.

What I was looking for was a printed list of all the fields in each table, their data types and their lengths. I can get this information with the references everyone has provided but it will be tedius to build the lists. I'm surprised that Salesforce does not have a doc on this as it seem to me to be a pretty basic piece of reference material.

I need the list because I am modeling the entire schema in a datamart to be used to mix SFDC data with data from other  DBMS's  for local reporting. The whole thin will sit under a report writer, much like Crystal but much easier to use for folks new to report writing. The system will have all the standard relations mapped so that all a user has to do is pull out the fields they want and plop them on the screen. The datamart data pull runs on a schedule so the datamart gets auto-magically populated overnight and it will do a transform on the fly if required.

I noticed there were products that charge a yearly fee (in the 8k a year range) for similar services, i.e. pulling SFDC data down locally and thought it was a bit much so we are developing this report write for folks so they can pay for it once and not have to deal with the subscription fees associated with the other products.

The report writer is done, All I need to do is model the SFDC tables in the datamart and build the autolink table. Hence, I was looking for an easy to read list of data fields with their associated lengths and data types.

What I have will have to suffice though. I suppose I should post the list on one of our websites one it is done so others will have a place to go for the reference.

Thanks for your input.

Daniel

SuperfellSuperfell
There could never be one doc as every customer's setup is different, every organization does different schema customizations. You could make a case that this should be available from within the app, but for your use case, it seems to me that your integration should be driving from the schema metadata available via the describeSObject call and not from a static definition of what the schema looks like today.
4SightDS4SightDS

Simon,

Yes, I know every customers schema can be modified but is there not a *base* schema? The initial rev of the tool will be built around the base schema. Customization at the customer site, based on their unique schema, will be carried out at the time of the installation.

Daniel