function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
akak 

Email to case - Can it run with Google Mail

I am investigating using Email to case but on reading the documentation noted it needs an IMAP Mail Server and the agent has to be behind the orgs firewall. My organisation uses Google Mail. I know Gmail now has IMAP capabilities.

Has anyone any expereince of using EMail to case with Google Mail. Is it even possible?? Is there a workaround?
Also, what is the minimum infrastructure required to run the agent. Can it be on a PC?

Any views and comments welcome.

Thanks

ak
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
akak

Tried this out on my Dev org and it works really well. A great service.

I notice its not in my production org yet but as soon as its rolled out  I will use it. Saved a lot of time.

Thanks for telling about this feature - really helpful!

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf
You can.  See here:

http://salesforce.phollaio.com/2008/02/22/configure_email2case_to_work_with_googles_gmail/
akak
Thanks Werewolf. I will check that out.
akak
An update on this issue.

I tried this but with out success. I have had config files checked and they are OK but I cannot connect to the gmail servers.

I have started another post in this forum to see if I can get any inormation as to why I cannot connect.

akak
The new post can be found here

http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=general_development&message.id=18242#M18242
werewolfwerewolf
Incidentally as of this writing this is much simpler -- post-Spring '09 you can now simply forward your GMail to an On Demand Email To Case box.
akak
That sounds very interesting. Thanks for the update. Do you know where do youget these On demand Email to case boxes?
werewolfwerewolf
When your instance gets upgraded to Spring '09, go to Setup->Case->Email To Case.  There you can turn on On Demand Email To Case, which will automatically create inboxes for each of your routing addresses that you can then forward mail to.
akak

Tried this out on my Dev org and it works really well. A great service.

I notice its not in my production org yet but as soon as its rolled out  I will use it. Saved a lot of time.

Thanks for telling about this feature - really helpful!

This was selected as the best answer