function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
WesGrayWesGray 

Display Employee Name, not ID

I am trying to do something which seems very simple, yet I can't figure it out.

I have one custom table, Employee, with a key of Employee ID (autonumber).  The Employee table has a field Supervisor which is a lookup field back to Employee.  So one Employee can have a link to another Employee who is their supervisor.  Now, when I am looking at an Employee record I don't want to see that their Supervisor is 00000001, I want to see the Employee.Name field of their supervisor.  I tried using a formula field with a merge field in it, but can't seem to get it to work.  Any ideas?  There *has* to be a way to do this.  Thanks!
jrotensteinjrotenstein
This worked just fine for me!

I created the custom object as you described, and here's how it appears on my system:

I think that the reason it worked for me, and not you, is how you defined your "Name" field on the object. Here's the definition of my Custom Object:

You'll notice that my "Name" field is the Employee Name, while I added a different field for Employee ID.

I suspect that on your system, the "Name" field is your Employee ID, which makes it appear as default.

You could write an S-control to retrieve the Employee object and display a specific field, but if at all possible I'd recommend just changing your Employee object to be like mine.

Thanks for the question!

John Rotenstein
Sydney, Australia
WesGrayWesGray
Thanks, that does work.  I had been thinking that the Record Name field had to be a unique field and thus wouldn't work for my Name field, but it turns out that is not the case.