function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
nicksquashnicksquash 

Data Loader - Escape Character for quotation mark

Hi

We're using the data loader to import a large amount of data via a csv file.

We've run into an issue where if there is a quotation mark in any of the csv fields, the data loader doesn't like it.

At the moment we're stripping the quotation mark out of the field which is resulting in the data being inaccurate.

Is there an escape character we can use so that the data loader doesn't have this problem?

We're activating the data loader through a php script, so we can do a search and replace to add the escape character in.

ie. replace all " with /"

thanks
jrotensteinjrotenstein
I had a similar issue, but fixed it as part of my SQL that extracts data from my database.

Code:
translate(body, chr(34), chr(39))

That converts double-quotes (") to single-quotes (').

Is there some way you can fix it while creating your CSV file? From where is the file coming?
nicksquashnicksquash
Hi jrotenstein

Thanks for the reply.

We've basically ended up doing a similar thing to your suggestion.
We've replaced all double quotes (") with two single quotes ('') within the csv file as a pre-processor.

We had a whole range of pre-processing tasks we needed to perform, so adding this to the list was relatively trivial.

thanks
Nick
ClavelClavel

I don't know if you are still having issues with the Data Loaser but I would liek to discuss with you Infomratica's Data Integraion Service which is being offered free of charge.  This tool should be able to resolve your isses.  Please contact me if you would like to get more information about this hosted solution (no software required).  My e-mail is cclavel@informatica.com.

Carl Clavel

raja1986raja1986

Hi Nick,

how were you able to solve this issue in dataloader?

Can you let me know ?

Thanks in advance.