function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
zrxc77zrxc77 

How to duplicate live environment in development account

Is there an automated way to set up my development account to look just like my live account? I want my development account to have all the customization of our real account so that when I test sforce operations I will be testing against a reasonable facsimile of our actual SalesForce.com account.

In a related question, what are considered best practices for testing and deploying sforce solutions to SalesForce.com accounts? I am used to working on systems that we have full control over. For these systems we have complete duplicates of the production systems dedicated for development, QC testing and acceptance testing. Only after a change or new product has passed through all three levels do we release it to production.

However, from what I have seen so far, development with sforce means working on a small development account, which may or may not duplicate the structure of the real account depending on the answer to my first question, but which certainly doesn't contain a complete copy or even a large subset of the live data. Then the next step is deployment straight to the live account. It feels like working without a net to me, so I would appreciate any advice on how others manage their development and testing cycle.

Thanks in advance.
zrxc77zrxc77
So is there no way to transfer schema, custom objects, fields, etc. back and forth between the development and live environments? Do I have to sit at the keyboard with the mouse and individually and manually duplicate all the customization one entry at a time?

I've looked through all the setup and customization tabs, and while I find tools for importing/exporting data, I can't find anything for importing/exporting customized objects, fields, tabs, etc.

Should I just do all development on the live site?
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi zrxc77,

We do not currently have any way for you to programattically apply customizations from one account to the other.  We see this as a useful (is that a strong enough term?) capability of the platform and are working to provide that functionality in the future.

In the mean time, you and I will have to click click click. 

ScotScot

zrxc 77,

After a few passes at copying things, I've found it easier to do my development on the live site most of the time. I've allocated an additional user as my "test user". This user has a small set of accounts which I use for experimentation, using opportunity dates in 2011 so they won't show up on any summary reports.  By making different record types and/or different page layouts for this user, I can do most things without impacting production use.

I go back to the development site only when I'm trying something that has a higher risk-factor. (For example, testing the use of a bulk update tool).

It's a compromise, but so far it's worked. (knock on wood).

Scot

zrxc77zrxc77
Thank you Scot and Dave. I guess for now I'll just work with what we have, using your suggestions, and hope for an enhancement someday.
MelsterMelster
Is this still the case? There's no way to replicate a live site's custom fields onto a developer account? That would just suck.
DevAngelDevAngel
Yeah, that is still how it is today.  In the Winter '06 release in November you will be able to use the appexchange to migrate custom fields in and out of your account.  More information will be available as the release date approaches.