function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BasilBasil 

entering a value that is not contained in the picklist of a field

Hi,

Haven't tried it yet but I would like to know, suppose there is a field which 's data type is picklist.

using sforce sdk, what would hppen if a value that does not exist in the picklist was entered?

1) will there be an error and disfunction
2) will it be ignored
3) will it be accepted and entered
4) will it be accepted, entered and added to the picklist
ScotScot

It varies.

If the picklist is "advisory", then the value is set (your 3).

If the picklist is "restricted", then the change is refused. I am not sure whether this is a (1) or a (2).

Most picklists, including custom ones, appear to be advisory. See page 90/91 in the Developers Guide for the description of this.

BasilBasil
silly question may be, how can I know if the picklist is "advisory" or "restricted" ?
ScotScot

Basil,

See page 90/91 in the Developers Guide. It describes the "restrictedPicklist" field returned by Describe.

Scot

BasilBasil
I understood that, thanks

but what I meant is using the salesforce.com interface, how can I know which user can access to advisory picklist , and who to restricted picklist

here a re different kind of profiles

contract manager
custom: marketing profile
custom: sales profile
custom: support profile
marketing user
readonly -------> must restricted for sure
solution manager
standard user
system administrator ------> advisory for sure

seems that other type of profiles can be added, didn't for that yet
ScotScot

I think, perhaps, I should let someone from salesforce take this up.

However, as I understand it, user profiles have nothing to do with the advisory/restricted picklist function.

The profiles would define whether the user can create/update the field. For example, a read-only user cannot update a field at all, regardless of what type of picklist it has.  Once they have access, if the field has a restricted pick list, the only legal values are those on the list --- even if you are an administrator, you cannot set it outside the pick list values.  If the field has an advisory picklist, it may be used to guide the user (and is in the UI), but any user -- as long as she can access to change the field -- may change it to any value.

My guess, untested, is that Opportunity Stage is an example of a restricted picklist - and I know that even as an administrator, I cannot set that one to any value except those on the list.  Of course, if I am really adamant, I can change the list.  (Take that, you pesky field!)

Scot

BasilBasil
thanks, much more clearer

one more question, what does UI means please ?
ScotScot

Basil,

UI -> User Interface -> the HTML interface to salesforce.com - to differentiate it from the API interface.

Scot