function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dgrissendgrissen 

Basic ActiveX advice for a newbie

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing an ActiveX control in VB 6.0 which I hope to deploy as an sforce control which will be accessed via web links.

My hope is that I can use the ActiveX control to collect a lot of information and populate salesforce custom fields (for example, an 'Account Type' field in "Contracts".)  I am new to developing with sforce controls and an intermediate VB 6 programmer (no .NET experience yet).

My question is this:

I was reading the API document and in the scontrol section it says supported API calls are create, update, delete, query, getDeleted.... etc.

In Table 47 of the API in the scontrol section, it mentions binary fields of type binary that are such items as ActiveX.  It says that these objects can be specified when your client application calls create, but not update.  So... can an ActiveX control be deployed as a scontrol to update fields in an object such as Contracts?  (Assuming proper version and features of Salesforce are enabled)

Also, any advice/help for a greenie VB developer would be much appreciated... thanks!

Darrell

adamgadamg

Check the VB forum, and download the beta Office and COM toolkit; there are samples attached as well.  This is by far your best bet for accessing sforce from VB6.