function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
David FDavid F 

Contacts - Accounts Relationship

It seems that an contact can only have one account. why cant the contact have a one-to-many relationship with an account? Is there a way to do this?

Thank you.

ScotScot

A contact "belongs" to one account.

On the other hand, with the new release, you CAN associate contacts from other accounts with an account. Look for the "Contact Roles" information on the new release notes.

In the API, this takes the form of a new object, AccountContactRole. See the Technical Note TN-10 for this information, and the 4.0 API document for details.

Scot

RupRup

Yes, but none of the new 4.0 "Contact" roles are mass-updatable : I tried through the Excel plugin, and the API returned a error. This non-feature was confirmed by salesforce's user support.

Rup

ScotScot

Good point: the Excel Connector cannot handle this yet. Not that it helps you (or me), but they can be updated with programs that use the 4.0 API.

The problem is that the 4.0 API has not been made available through the Office Edition toolkit. As a result, any tool using that Toolkit, including the Excel Connector, is stuck with the prior edition features.

Until there is an update to the Toolkit, we cannot handle Account Contact Roles, Contract Contact Roles,  Approvals, Multi-value Picklist fields (they are there, but read-only), etc.

Once the 4.0 API is available, this should be a quick update to the Connector.

ScotScot

Good news ... this is now available.

If you uninstall Office Edition and re-install it, you'll get version 2.0 of the Toolkit. Once you've done this, the sforce Excel Connector will handle the AccountContactRole object - as well as multi-value picklists.

Scot

RupRup

Scot,

Thanks for the tip, I will try the update-multivalue capability.

However, please note that this has no impact whatsoever on querying for account-less contacts.

I have tried this in a Salesforce.com report (in French and English locales, just to be sure), in an Excel SalesforceOffice edition report, and in the Excel Sforce connector : no success.

Anyone found how to do this ?  I am (super-)administrator, but this does not seem to make any difference.

Rup