function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
zrxc77bzrxc77b 

Defining Relationships

Am I correct in my understanding that relationships can only be defined for custom objects, although those definitions may relate custom objects to standard objects?

If I am wrong, how does one define an additional relationship between standard objects?

I am trying to relate closed opportunities to contracts. I don't see any standard relationship between opportunities and contracts, and I don't see how to make a custom relationship.

How do people transfer/associate information from an opportunity to a contract? Was it never intended that closed opportunities would flow to contracts, or am I missing something?

Thanks.
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi zrxc77b.

I think your best bet on this is to contact customer support as this is not an API issue.

zrxc77bzrxc77b
Okay. Thanks Dave.

For anyone else who might have had a similar question, I did find some interesting information on the Contracts page of SalesForce.com's promotional site:

--------------------------------
Coming soon to salesforce.com:
⬢ Order Management
Once a deal closes, you can move to the next stage and create a sales order. Since the order may be created based on the pricing and terms set in the contract, you don't have to re-enter information, and you can be confident that the order is accurate and adheres to agreed-upon terms and order rules. You can continue to process the order and follow up on status in salesforce.com or integrate with your existing back-office system to exchange order and status information.
⬢ Invoice Management
And finally, you can generate customer invoices based on your contracts and orders right from salesforce.com, further streamlining the post-sale customer relationship. You can easily track and report on both billing and payment information for your entire customer base, a subset, or even individual customers. Salesforce.com can also integrate with your existing AR or GL system to support the tracking of invoice and payment status throughout the billing process.
--------------------------------
(from http://www.salesforce.com/products/contracts.jsp)

It looks like I was correct in my understanding that there is currently no relationship between opportunities and contracts, but that SalesForce.com is planning on enhancing the product to include such functionality.