function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ChristineVWChristineVW 

Creating Custom Object With Info Auto-Populated from Other Custom Object

Hello,

I have two custom objects, one called Development Request and one called Job.  A Job that a user might create is not always related to a Development Request, but the creation of a Development Request almost always leads to the creation of a new Job

My users would like the ability to create a Job from a Development Request.  They have this ability now as a lookup relationship exists, but ideally, this process would also automatically copy over data from the common fields.  There are about 10 common fields. 

I see this working in something like the following way, but cannot figure out how to accomplish it: 

User creates and saves a Development Request;
On the new Development Request record screen, the user clicks on the "New" button on a Jobs related list;
The user is now creating a new Job; 10 or so of the fields should automatically contain the same information as the Development Request did, and all of this would auto-populate for the user. 

I realize that this is an involved question.  I know how to create Master-Detail and Lookup relationships, and if necessary I can make the Development Request the Master of Jobs.  Is this the solution?  If so, do I then need to use Formula fields to get the "auto-population" to occur?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.  :womanhappy:
CYTEXONECYTEXONE
I would love to know how to do this as well
TCAdminTCAdmin

ChristinVW,

What you are looking for is a custom link.  This would allow you to create a link and put it on the page of the parent object.  It would create a new object and use mail merge fields that would populate fields on the new created object.  This is a very handy feature.  If you need assistance setting something like this up then please send me a message and I'll try and assist.

/003/e?name_firstcon2={!Lead_FirstName}&name_lastcon2={!Lead_LastName}&name_salutationcon2={!Lead_Salutation}

The sample above can be placed in the Lead object and when clicked on the system will open up the "New Contact" page and populate the Salutation, First Name, and Last name with the information that was in the Lead object.

Chris

ChristineVWChristineVW
Chris,

Thank you.  I've got this working perfectly now and it looks great.  I found a little extra help in the "Building Salesforce Custom Links" pdf.  Much appreciated!

Christine