function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DoItAloneDoItAlone 

Creating Read Only Fields from Another Object, HELP!

So, I have a custom object that I need to pull a field into cases from, and make it read only.  (The lookup only looks up the indentification number, and we want the name of the account to display as well.)

It might be that I'm just slightly stupid this week, but I can't figure out how to do it.  I tried to build a cross-object-formula, but I can't. 

If there's anyone who can point me to some code, or a help page, that will help me build whatever I need to build to make this happen, that would be great.

werewolfwerewolf
You can build the cross-object formula if the case has a lookup to your custom object.  That may be the piece you're missing.
DoItAloneDoItAlone
It does have a lookup to the object, which is how I'm pulling the id number to the screen.   Is there something I'm missing, maybe something I need to ask salesforce to turn on?  Is this feature not available in professional edition?  
werewolfwerewolf
As far as I know cross object formulas are available in PE also.  It's not something Salesforce.com has to turn on.  When you're making your formula field, click on the Advanced Formula tab and press the Insert button.  You'll be able to get to your cross-object fields by clicking through any field with a > (like "Account >").
DoItAloneDoItAlone

Thanks!

I finally figured it out, and got it working.  Now if only I could figure out recurring tasks in PE