function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269 

what happened to search?

A few weeks ago the search function for this board changed, MUCH for the worse. Now it's just a single search box, no "advanced" option, and I get some generic links instead of the detailed results I used to get, that sometimes just take me to a random board instead of a specific post! The new search function is awful, very frustrating and almost useless. Salesforce does so much for the user interface and productivity of users, but this kills what used to be a great resource.

FYI I'm using Firefox on a Mac, such an unusual combination.
adamgadamg
Thanks for the feedback Mark.

Good news - we introduced site wide search; bad news (depending on how you look at it) - we replaced forums search with site wide search.

I'll ask the folks working on search to chime in here and see if we can re-create the features you are looking for.
Ron HessRon Hess
Dang, sorry new search feature is not an improvement :smileyindifferent:

I know the guys who worked really hard to make this happen and some of us think it's better ( wider scope, available at top level), nevertheless we are happy to take your input to help us make it better.

MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
Sorry, frustration was talking. :) The new search is site-wide, yes. However it has little relevance when you're looking for information about a problem you're having. Not much detail about the results are shown, no post dates, no sorting, etc. I should be able to eliminate results that aren't relevant, say prior to Winter 07. Something posted in 2004 just doesn't mean as much, but I have to drill in to determine that. I could do this with the old advanced search.

I wanted something simple, the parameter to include in hyperlink formulas that preserves the session id - "ic=1" I couldn't remember it and had lost my reference. Searches for invalid session, hyperlink formula, etc. turned up nothing and I know it's in the forum somewhere - that's where I found it months ago! :) Some of the results returned just took me to a forum page, not even a specific post.

Yeah I finally found what I was looking for, but not in the forums. There's a huge amount of value here but the new search makes it difficult to find and refine.
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
Also while higher-level scope can be good, if I'm looking for AJAX or Apex information (which I do frequently) I don't really care about results from Best Practices or AppEx Builder, Java, .Net, etc. In fact those results make it harder to find what I'm really after.

Something to think about. I don't mean to be purely negative, please take this as feedback on a resource I have come to value a LOT over the years. It's all still there and the folks working on it have been doing a great job.
jf317820jf317820
I agree with most  of MarkL's points.  I wish the search results could be filtered ("Advanced Search"), I wish you could search a particular board, I wish posts could be ordered by date of post, replies, author, etc.

Just some thoughts.

PS - Thanks to the SFDC team for hearing us out.
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
Was there ever any answer from the team? I would love to know if a return to advanced search was coming soon. It's practically unusable right now, and a resource I used to use almost daily has become a once-a-week frustration instead.

Mark
hemmhemm
You can still get to the old search at http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/search
abruckabruck
this is so silly. 
when I type in the class name I would like to get the documentation for that class. instead I receive a whole bunch of irrelavent stuff.
All I need is a simple list of methods! why is that so hard to find?