function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
WYamWYam 

Updating field value with no data value

I created a field in the Opportunity object that held a picklist value. The value in that field is supposed to update with a workflow rule and remain blank until the rule triggers.

Absentmindedly, I put in a default picklist value that has now populated over 1,500 records with a picklist value even though the rule criteria has not been met. Needless to say, this is wrecking havoc on our data sets.

I tried to use the dataloader to update the field value with no value to no sucess. If I leave the field value blank, the existing value remains in the field. If I use "NULL" the word "NULL" is inserted into the field.

Any thoughts on how I can get around to deleting these field values without running through the 1,500 records?

Thanks!
SuperfellSuperfell
use an empty column in the data laoder, and turn on the send NULLs option.
WYamWYam
Yeah... found that after I posted =) Thanks Simon.

Here is the text from the "Help and Training" link:

"Using the Data Loader, you can update fields in records with a blank value. Go to Settings and check "Insert null values" prior to updating your records. IMPORTANT! Remember to uncheck the "Insert null values" setting for subsequent imports.

It is not possible to update a field with a blank value using the Import Wizard. The existing value in the field will not be changed using the Import Wizard."