function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
elieli 

Forecast for an update to WSAD plug-in for new version

Now that the newest version of WebSphere Studio Application Developer is released (under the new name Rational Application Developer for WebSphere v6.0), when do you anticipate that the sForce plug-ins will be updated for this new versio of the IDE?

Thanks
HaroldHHaroldH
Agreed, this would be very helpful. Does the Sforce team have a target date for releasing the WebSphere plug-in for version 6? It doesn't look like there's a great deal that would need to be changed.
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi HaroldH and eli,

No, it's not a great deal of work to actually make it work (basically up the supported version etc).  But, we need to repeat our Ready For Websphere certification process for Ready For Rational.  This is time consuming and tedious.  (And guess who gets to do it?).  Anyway, we should have something in the 2 to 4 week timespan.

Cheers

elieli
Thanks much for the forecast. That helps.

Here's another note of feedback that might be useful to you. IBM customers are prone to having several versions of the Eclipse workbench/application developer installed. For example, I have a version installed for IBM Business Integration Message Broker Toolkit (a separate Eclipse install), WSAD version 5.1.2 that is my primary IDE, and the new Rational Application Developer (WSAD v6.0 really) that I am evaluating for future use. The sForce WSAD Toolkit setup program, however, doesn't seem to support multiple installations at the same time. For example, when I tried to run the sForce toolkit install, I got a warning that it was already installed. I had the sForce toolkit installed in v5.1.2, and I was taking a chance that maybe the install would detect my newly installed RAD v6.0.

So when the toolkit is updated to support RAD, it looks like I'll still have the same problem. i.e. The toolkit plug-in installation will not allow me to install it into RAD since I already installed it into WSAD 5.1.2. Is it possible to enhance the plug-in installation process so that it can give the user an option to select which Eclipse (WSAD/RAD) installation that is the target of the install?

Incidentally, I tried uninstalling the sForce toolkit to address this situation. (I am assuming that could potentially allow me to reinstall the toolkit into RAD when that is supported.) The result was that my WSAD 5.1.2 installation was destroyed. It will no longer launch. I'm working on reinstalling it. Did the toolkit uninstall delete something essential from the WSAD installation? I don't know. But that's another story.

No response is necessary to this discussion, I just thought my situation might be relevant to future work on the plug-in. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Eli
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi eli,

The installer actually looks for 5.1 specifically.  I will install in either Site Deveoper or Application Developer.  I don't know about installing in both on the same machine.  I will definitely check this out when we get to packaging.

The installer should NOT destroy your WSAD installation.  We tested the uninstall and found no problems (you can't get Read For certification unless it can be gracefully uninstalled).  This is worrysome and I will do some testing to verify.  The plug-in installs in a completely separate directory from WSAD, not in your plugins or features directory, and places a link file in the links directory.  In this way the uninstall does not need to touch anything in plugins or features in an attempt to preserve WSAD during removal.

There are a couple of registery entries that are made and then removed on uninstall and I suspect that may be where the issue lies, but I can't confirm at this point.

When the next version comes out, it will be compatible with 5.1.x as well as Rational.

visitorvisitor
I am using IBM WebSphere Studio 6.0, current toolkit is for WebSphere Studio 5.1.2. Any update or plan on Sforce Toolkit for this version? Thanks.