function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
StephenStephen 

Data model

Does anyone know of a tool to create data models for a Salesforce implementation?
StephenStephen

Expanding on the start. The tool would help document the whole of Salesforce. Third party tools or consultants that do the modeling would be useful.

Thanks

Steve

adamgadamg
There is an ERD diagram in the API docs - if you need the original files for that we might be able to provide them.
StephenStephen

I gave that to management, they want more. One thing they are looking for is a Data dictionary. I'm looking at creating one useing the Office tool kit to describe an object, then feeding an assess database with the information. One important piece that is missing is the description field from within Salesforce, as far as I know that can't be gotten through the API. I can live with out that for now. I just want to automate as much of the documentation process as I can.

Once the databases are created then I can run an update every now and then, and manually update any new field descriptions.

Steve 

darozdaroz

Stephen wrote:

One important piece that is missing is the description field from within Salesforce, as far as I know that can't be gotten through the API.

Benji: It's a red letter day -- an API request I don't have a feature request already filed for!

/em goes off to file a support ticket...
adamgadamg
There is an ADO.NET adaptor for sforce, which means that if there is a tool that does ADO.NET -> ERD, you might be able to automate that.

..let us know what you come up with - if you are able to produce a solution I'm sure it would be of interest to the community.
benjasikbenjasik
I think you guys want the description field in the describesobjectresult and on field? That's easy to add, although I'm not sure everyone wants it, as there could be 1000 chars of text for custom fields and custom objects. If we eventually added descriptions for every field, I could see this getting large, or if you had 250 custom fields, 200 characters of info each, that's 50k of data.
Venkat PolisettVenkat Polisett

We would like to have the description added to the describesobjectresult. It would help us query the custom fields to find out what they are and for our future documentation.

Hope this will be done soon.

Thanks,

Venkat Polisetti