function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
OTOT 

Can't search for Contact, yet they appear in Recent Items

Hi,

I've added a contact via the API ("Bob Smith"). If I search for this contact via the application, I'm told there are no records found. However, Bob Smith appears in the recent items and I can open the Contact page by selecting this item. I can also enter the Id field in the URL and I can get to the contact page.

Any explanation of this would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

OT

ScotScot

OT,

The problem is that the search mechanism works from a separate index which is updated asychronously in the background. Depending on ??, the time needed for the index to be generated can vary from very small to horribly large.

You'll generally find that searching for the new contact will fail consistently through either the API or the UI until the index is updated. The contact is, of course, in the database. Thus if you have the contact ID, you can find it. If you access it via the recent items, you can find it. Also, if you view the parent Account page, it will be listed.

However, if you search for it, you are out of luck.

Likewise, if you try to input an email through the Outlook Edition, you are out of luck.

Late last year, we had some very long delays with indexing during European business hours ... some more than three hours.  Our contacts at salesforce.com sympathized and reflected the problem upwards, but there was never a formal response. Eventially, more than a month later, the problem was solved.

If you are experiencing long delays (my definition was more than 30 seconds, but everyone can have their own), I'd talk to your sales or support people at salesforce.

OTOT

Hi Scot,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm glad to hear that someone else has experienced this "undocumented feature" and it was not just me experiencing this.

Regards,

OT