function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sf_davesf_dave 

Can you delete stage history?

Hi Everyone,

We imported all our data but accidentially mis-set the close date on our Closed Won opportunities.  Does anyone know if you can delete the stage history for Opportunities?  I've tried through the PHP API but receive "entity type cannot be deleted" when I try to delete the item.

Can we manually delete / massage our stage history or do we have to delete the entire Opportunity and re-add it.  That seems to be overkill just to purge the stage history and start fresh.

Thanks
-Dave
werewolfwerewolf
Sorry, I don't think the opportunity history is modifiable.  That would be like rewriting history. *knee-slap*
sf_davesf_dave
I understand that the "History" is just that...but it would be IMENSLEY useful if Admins or the API could change the history to allow proper reporting.  Our accounting system has the exact dates the stages changed, and we would like to wipe our incorrect history and sort of "back update" the history correctly.

Is there NO OPTION other than deleting the Opportunities and re-creating them?  We would lose all contacts and notes associated with the opportunity?

There must be another way.

-Dave
CrmzepherCrmzepher
Hello,

He had a simuliar situation with a ton of Lead imported by the original consulting group that set up our Instance. They forgot to request for SF Cust Support to turn on the "Write to Create Date" feature before the upload and 5 years worth of leads all went in with the same date.

Here are the options that you have with your Opportunity History data.

1. Work with Salesforce´s Development Services / Cust Support with your Account Exec and request that all this data be deleted / edited for a fee. It will take a while to get to the right people but keep insisting and eventually they will give you a fee for them to go in and clean up all that data without harming everything you need to keep.

2. Create a custom field(s) that hold the Stage History as you want it to be seen and basically replace the Stage History section in Salesforce. Load your old history into it and then write a scontrol to load new satage history as your opportunities advance. Now this is something that you can do but you will have to incorporate this field in all your reports as well.

3. Use AppExchange App to make an exact copy of your Salesforce instance. Remove / edit the Stage History in this copy and then reload it all back into instance.

As you can see all 3 ways will take some good planning and persistance. Unfortunately there is no easy or admin way to effect this data.

Remember like Lead, Contact, etc . . . creation dates, stage history is a core element of Salesforce and it is used by many different areas, dashboards, reports, and objects. In you case Stage History is a vital part of Forecasting. That is why these items cannot be easily manipulated.

Hope this helps.

crmzepher