function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MatLMatL 

Eclipse 3.3.2 crashes when creating new Force.com IDE project

I'm quite new to SalesForce and need to start learning APEX. I have just downloaded and installed the following version of Eclipse:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/europa/winter/eclipse-java-europa-winter-win32.zip

and then installed the Force.com IDE using the instructions on this page:

http://wiki.apexdevnet.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE_Installation_for_Eclipse_3.3.x

I'm now trying to complete some of the Force.com platform tutorials but I can't seem to create a new Force.com project as it crashes every time I try. I perform the following steps to replicate this:

- Open Force.com perspective

- File > New > Force.com project

- Enter all the relevant login and security token information to connect to our sandbox

- Verify that the proxy information is all correct

- Click Next

At this point the Progress Information popup appears and says "Fetching Organisation Details", which seems to work fine. It then changes to say "Fetching component metadata..." and below the progress bar it says "ApexTrigger, ApexClass, ApexComponent...". At this point Eclipse freezes and I have to kill the process, even after leaving it for half an hour. Nothing shows in the Log in Eclipse.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any help greatly appreciated.

FYI... I have tried to following to no success:

- Removed Eclipse and reinstalled everything

- Tried using older version of Eclipse

- Tried using older version of Force.com IDE plugin

- Verified my sandbox connection details by logging into the sandbox frontend

- Verified my proxy details in IE

- Re-generated my Salesforce security token

- Entered my login info password in new project window as <password><securitytoken>

- Verified my Java Runtime Environment is > v1.5

- Managed to create new project in Eclipse with my details on a colleague's computer

cwall_sfdccwall_sfdc

Hey MatL. 

Can you re-run the wizard while in debug mode and send pertinent info?
Add the following to $eclipse-home/eclipse.ini:

-vmargs
  -Dforce-ide-debug=true

After doing so, re-start Eclipse and re-run the wizard.  Then email the following file:

$workspace/.metadata/.plugins/com.salesforce.ide/force-ide.log

Note: Remove the force-ide options after sending.  Keeping them will degrade performance.

-Chris 

cwall@salesforce.com

Message Edited by cwall_sfdc on 01-29-2009 05:30 PM
Chuck TomlinsonChuck Tomlinson
Maybe it's the window-behind thing?
When it pulls metadata, at one point it'll pop a msg informing what objects are unsupported -- it sometimes goes behind things and you cannot see it, thus 'hanging' Eclipse -- a little alt-tab action will fix that..